No announcement yet.

Systemd 217 Updated In Debian & Soon Making Its Way To Ubuntu 15.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way... This is from one of our backup servers, recently upgraded to Jessie and configured to use systemd. Works fine:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

# /
    UUID=a2a19a05-0ab1-4384-839c-2c1a9dd245fc / reiserfs notail,noatime,user_xattr 0 1
    UUID=a2a19a05-0ab1-4384-839c-2c1a9dd245fc /mnt/root reiserfs notail,noatime,user_xattr 0 0
    UUID=7938e468-01e4-4be5-9a5d-db29da37ced4 /mnt/root/var reiserfs notail,noatime,user_xattr 0 0

# /spare
    UUID=12ab4d13-398e-4af2-9a76-b888aafbab10 /spare reiserfs notail,noatime,user_xattr 0 2

# /var
    UUID=7938e468-01e4-4be5-9a5d-db29da37ced4 /var reiserfs notail,noatime,user_xattr 0 2

# swap
    UUID=9a0d1319-da63-4947-96e5-66b056dcf7f0 none swap sw 0 0

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0

LABEL=mirror /mirror btrfs space_cache,compress=lzo 0 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Went perfectly fine for me o.O I even switched ahead of the official switch
      Ah, I avoided Arch like the plague at that time (mostly because it was right when I started getting into Linux and it was a scary monster), so I'm only going on 3rd party info. But 9/10 people I've seen talk about it only has horror stories. The pattern is generally "Man, I love how well systemd works with Arch now, but it was nothing but a crap-ton of breakages when they were first switching over!"

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        Ah, I avoided Arch like the plague at that time (mostly because it was right when I started getting into Linux and it was a scary monster), so I'm only going on 3rd party info. But 9/10 people I've seen talk about it only has horror stories. The pattern is generally "Man, I love how well systemd works with Arch now, but it was nothing but a crap-ton of breakages when they were first switching over!"
        I can't comment on the time of ArchLinux's switch, I was on Gentoo/OpenRC during that time. When I was fed up with compiling stuff myself and occasional breakage due to updates, I switched to Arch, but they were already using systemd by then.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
          My experience is that anything that is normal and working now suddenly is "you should have read the systemd manual, because now that is illegal in fstab". So far all my systems went unbootable due to using labels, or disk-by-id's in the fstab, that were not resolved yet because the label and uid and other udev stuff starts at a later moment in the systemd setup, but works just fine under the systemv part.
          LABEL= does not work in systemd setups, /dev/disk/disk-by-* also does not work. Primary devices like /dev/sda or /dev/mmcblk0p2 do work.
          And my latest system doesn't even give me clues about why he doesn't like my fstab.
          But after 120s it gives up on trying to mount something I didn't ask it to.
          At least it did load the hiddev, so I could easily switch back to sysv-core.
          But it will probably be ironed out once I have the time to figure that out and file a bug report. It is not the only thing that keeps systems from booting. My previous system on my gaming rig was ubuntu, and after each upgrade it comes with an initrd that refuses to boot from a degraded raid array.
          "Your raid array is degraded, I assume you do not want to boot, if you want to continue booting, press any key, and only after you pressed the key we will load the keyboard driver (usb-hid)".
          The only problem I had with systemd was that by default it fails to boot if any FS isn't mountable, and my /data drive was failed at the time. Once I put "nofail" for my non-critical FSs, everything was fine, including UUIDs, labels and block devices (I have at least one of each as it happens)

Comment

Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
            The only problem I had with systemd was that by default it fails to boot if any FS isn't mountable, and my /data drive was failed at the time. Once I put "nofail" for my non-critical FSs, everything was fine, including UUIDs, labels and block devices (I have at least one of each as it happens)
            That is not an issue with systemd but an issue with a failed disk.

Would you rather systemd tried to boot from failed drives and screw any hope of data recovery?

Comment

Originally posted by danwood76 View Post
              That is not an issue with systemd but an issue with a failed disk.

Would you rather systemd tried to boot from failed drives and screw any hope of data recovery?
              So with systemD it is not possible anymore to get data from failed data disk as you boot from good system disk??!?!?!?

This funny things will become more and more popular for linux 'distros' with systemd

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
                So far all my systems went unbootable due to using labels, or disk-by-id's in the fstab, that were not resolved yet because the label and uid and other udev stuff starts at a later moment in the systemd setup, but works just fine under the systemv part.
                LABEL= does not work in systemd setups, /dev/disk/disk-by-* also does not work. Primary devices like /dev/sda or /dev/mmcblk0p2 do work.
                all my filesystems are mounted by uuid or label. and all of them work with systemd. and it always worked. so it is either you suck, or your distro. you could decide it between yourselves without spitting bullshit over internet

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
                  So with systemD it is not possible anymore to get data from failed data disk as you boot from good system disk??!?!?!?
                  what happens with systemD should trouble only sect believing in systemD existence.
                  in systemd world there is no such problem.

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post

This funny things will become more and more popular for linux 'distros' with systemd
                    What is this for nonsense? You never want to automount a failed disk, especially not for data recovery. All that you really showed with this post that you have no clue whar you are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      what happens with systemD should trouble only sect believing in systemD existence.
                      in systemd world there is no such problem.
                      I believe that if word is not exactly defined as variable there isn't any difference in meaning if some of its letter is capitalized!
                      Or maybe it is trademark!?!?!? hehe trademark of FreeDesktop or RedHat? notice capitalization!!!
                      English is not my mother language, but i am sure that in Deutsch is the same as in my language.
                      So making fun of sYStemD, sysTEMd, systemD, Systemd and so on is obvious!

Comment

Working...
                      X