X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gens View Post
    biggest percent of contributions is from independent individuals
    individuals that probably dont earn any money from linux
    The #1 contributor in the kernel list is "unknown" which means we don't know whether they have make any money at all. Even still, companies collectively contribute far more than individuals do. If anyone wants to argue, that is only in quantity, I welcome you to try running your favorite distribution without any company contributed code.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
      The #1 contributor in the kernel list is "unknown" which means we don't know whether they have make any money at all.
      Correction: #1 is indeed "none". Not "unknown". The rest of it stands.

Comment

Look at the evidence? You haven't provided any. As a machine readable format, it is perfectly fine. Now if it was supposed to be something regular users would edit, I can see the problem but in this case, it is not.
        it is machine readable just like any other format (including proper english)
        problem is that it is not very human readable

evidence ?
        what is this, a court house ?
        i gave you a link to a harmful cat that explains (with pictures) how almost any other format is better
        i also gave you some formats that are clearly better (to anyone with common sense, that is)
        if you want more "evidence" ask a solaris admin how much he/she likes configuring SMF (they have written tools just so they wouldn't have to deal with its native format)

Comment

just to be an ass, il reply to this too
          The #1 contributor in the kernel list is "unknown" which means we don't know whether they have make any money at all. Even still, companies collectively contribute far more than individuals do. If anyone wants to argue, that is only in quantity, I welcome you to try running your favorite distribution without any company contributed code.
          first of all, you are measuring the kernel only and most of it is drivers
          i would expect a company making hardware to make drivers, you know
          so it's not that black and white

i welcome you to try running your favorite distribution without any code contributed by "none" or somebody confirmed to be independent
          (bdw, that includes Linus)
          Last edited by gens; 09 November 2014, 07:32 PM.

Comment

it is machine readable just like any other format (including proper english)
            problem is that it is not very human readable

evidence ?
            what is this, a court house ?
            i gave you a link to a harmful cat that explains (with pictures) how almost any other format is better
            i also gave you some formats that are clearly better (to anyone with common sense, that is)
            if you want more "evidence" ask a solaris admin how much he/she likes configuring SMF (they have written tools just so they wouldn't have to deal with its native format)
            English is not machine readable in the same sense xml is. Your link has opinions. Others have other opinions. Let them decide what they want to use

Comment

just to be an ass, il reply to this too

first of all, you are measuring the kernel only and most of it is drivers
              i would expect a company making hardware to make drivers, you know
              so it's not that black and white

i welcome you to try running your favorite distribution without any code contributed by "none" or somebody confirmed to be independent
              (bdw, that includes Linus)
              Linus gets paid for his job. Who do you think is funding the place where he works? Also others are whining about commercial vendors. I have no problem with volunteers or vendors

Comment

External image links sound like a bad idea for privacy and security reasons.

Comment

English is not machine readable in the same sense xml is. Your link has opinions. Others have other opinions. Let them decide what they want to use

in what sense is that ?
                  did you find out who made the site behind the link ?
                  do you know that the whole topic is about human beings writing that description files ?
                  making "opinions" of formats actually worth something ?
                  and if i make an open source program that is to be included in some distribution's distribution that it would be presumed that i would need to write that format ?
                  are they making a good standard or ?
                  (don't get me wrong, the rest of the standard is good)

i said already that they can use whatever the f they want

i also said that XML is a baaaaad format
                  but after giving reasons, that you asked for, as to why it is bad, all that you can comment on is a small piece of what i wrote
                  man, id think you were a community manager or something

as to the other thing you extracted a piece of;
                  Linus gets paid by a nonprofit organization
                  if he didn't id send him a tip whenever i can, as many others would (as many other big OSS projects survive)

Comment

making "opinions" of formats actually worth something ?
                    Linus gets paid by a nonprofit organization
                    Opinions are worth something if you back it up with data and do it in a convincing and constructive way. Drive by one liners that don't talk about anything else but a file format have a net negative value.

Linus gets paid by a industry consortium 501c(6). Not a regular non-profit foundation. 501c(3). Therefore all the funding comes from commercial companies. He is NOT a volunteer.

Ps: Fix your formatting. Its awfully unreadable.
                    Last edited by RahulSundaram; 09 November 2014, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toyotabedzrock View Post
                      External image links sound like a bad idea for privacy and security reasons.
                      This is already addressed. The metadata extraction tools caches the images in a distribution repository and does not actually fetch them from random sites when you use the app. This is done for both privacy and performance.

Comment

Working...
                      X