Ubuntu 14.10 Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
    How is mate on Ubuntu? Does it play well if you have Mate and Unity installed at the same time?
    Yeah I need to get MATE myself. I recently upgraded to 14.04 and not only does it have some of the same bugs as 12.04, but now you can't even move the damn window controls to the right.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
      More interesting will be all the forum comments when all the RadeonSI users start experiencing https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79980 . :-(

There are a couple guys trying to bi-sect the bug, but they haven't succedded yet.
      Hah, so I'm not the only one.

5 kernel releases and still no solution found, and the only workaround available is totally unacceptable (use EXA instead of GLAMOR which essentially destroys all hw acceleration and spikes CPU temperatures like nobody's business).

Comment

Originally posted by enfocomp View Post
        That's why the Ubuntu 6 month cycles on the clock aren't working as well anymore. They have timed it so each release they're 1 version of GNOME behind. Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 was garbage because of it.
        I agree with you in terms of clock cycle, perhaps 8 months (like OpenSUSE does) is better. But I dont think that falling behind GNOME 1 ( or even 2 ) version is a problem because I dont see any significant visual change between GNOME 3.10, 3.12 and 3.14 under Unity. I see Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and 14.10 are much more solid, stable and faster than any previous releases. You want a huge number of changes both visual and under the hood ? Wait for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, when Mir will be set as default

Comment

Originally posted by enfocomp View Post
          That's why the Ubuntu 6 month cycles on the clock aren't working as well anymore. They have timed it so each release they're 1 version of GNOME behind. Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 was garbage because of it.
          The ironic thing about that is that Ubuntu's release cycle was originally set to follow GNOME's. Did GNOME change their release schedule, or does Ubuntu just have a longer feature freeze? I guess now that there's Shell and Unity, GNOME apps require more Ubuntu-specific patching than they used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            Hah, so I'm not the only one.

5 kernel releases and still no solution found, and the only workaround available is totally unacceptable (use EXA instead of GLAMOR which essentially destroys all hw acceleration and spikes CPU temperatures like nobody's business).
            I didn't know there was a workaround.

Actually the bug appears to be more than one bug. They fixed a problem with the 3.17 kernel and there are still black screens occuring (but these are recoverable from).

Comment

Originally posted by deve View Post
              apt-get dist-upgrade, then restart - oh, kernel panic grub.cfg was generated wrongly. I fixed it, then restart - oh, gdm doesn't start I didn't find the reason, simply installed lightdm.

After every large upgrade I need to spend next two days to workaround bugs in my system... It doesn't matter on which distribution.
              When you will be an old man, you will only update from LTS to LTS and your life will be easier

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
                When you will be an old man, you will only update from LTS to LTS and your life will be easier
                Reminds me of a guy who updates his software always from LTS-2 to LTS-1 and backports fixes himself to be on the stable side

Comment

Is there somewhere an ISO of Ubuntu (or better also for Xubuntu) that supports 32-bit UEFI and installing with support for it?

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                    I didn't know there was a workaround.

Actually the bug appears to be more than one bug. They fixed a problem with the 3.17 kernel and there are still black screens occuring (but these are recoverable from).
                    It's not seen as a workaround because adding AccelMode "EXA" to xorg.conf immediately kills all manner of hardware acceleration in all hardware using the radeonSI driver.

And Gnome 3 / Cinnamon / KDE without hw acceleration, especially on low voltage hardware like Kabini, is almost torture with the crappier-than-crap performance from falling back to llvmpipe. Imagine seeing windows being redrawn frame by frame when moved. Or HTML5 youtube videos crawling an totally unviewable speeds.

But hey at least the whole "gpu lockup" nonsense has gone away, so it's all good! /sarcasm
                    Last edited by Sonadow; 24 October 2014, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Acually, scratch that; it's not 5 releases.

It's 7 friggin kernel releases.

I first experienced in in v3.11. 3.12 didn't solve anything. 3.13 seemingly stopped the gpu lockups.

3.14-3.15 --> no luck on my end. And based on what I am seeing, 3.16 - 3.18rc are all no good as well.

7 kernel releases and the problem remains unfixed. So much for "Linux is ready for the desktop".

Comment

Working...
                      X