Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't sound too bad to me. No one will use DNF until F22 anyway

Comment

I'm very much in favour of keeping Delta-RPMs on, it was one of the primary reasons I stuck with fedora for so many years, and even though I now run openSUSE on my laptop I still run Fedora on my desktop in part because of that. Further less time spent downloading something means more time I can spend with that bandwidth doing something else, like watching wolf videos on youtube with the RPM-reconstruction having basically no effect on that, while large files downloading can.
      Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 06 October 2014, 01:16 PM.

Comment

High speed internet is not universal!

I spent a few months working in Western China. On good days, the http traffic could reach the speed that one use to have with a 56k modem. On bad days, almost nothing was usable. So, keep in mind that large chuncks of the world might have quite slow internet connection and keep bandwidth requirements as low as possible!

Comment

DeltaRPM will remain the default

Bug has been updated. DeltaRPM will remain the default for DNF to maintain compatibility with YUM.

Comment

Well, I wish APT had delta debs...

Comment

If you've been following the mailing lists you'll know this is yet another attempt at addressing the question of "who are our target users and what are they like".
              From my recollections the last time I read one of these three determination was that it is an uncommon, though not unheard of, situation for a developer/sysadmin/student(@school) to be bandwidth starved.
              After 21 is released some real fact gathering will need to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                If you've been following the mailing lists you'll know this is yet another attempt at addressing the question of "who are our target users and what are they like".
                From my recollections the last time I read one of these three determination was that it is an uncommon, though not unheard of, situation for a developer/sysadmin/student(@school) to be bandwidth starved.
                After 21 is released some real fact gathering will need to happen.
                The fact gathering will be easy as doing a Google search on Internet Bandwidth. We're not there yet; and it is doubtful it will ever be more efficient to just download full rpms each time than to perform DeltaRPM processing locally. Yes, bandwidth speeds are getting faster, but processing power also continues to increase. The current definition from the FCC for broadband is 4Mb. They are working to increase it, but that hasn't happened. In the meantime carriers are looking for ways to throttle traffic and are howling at the prospect of the FCC changing the definition of broadband to 10Mb.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  ...this is yet another attempt at addressing the question of "who are our target users and what are they like".
                  The self-fulfilling answer that seems to have been reached is "current Fedora developers", but perhaps the tree will bear fruit all the same.

Comment

I also like the delta feature by default. I have limited downloads (200gb a month and after that I get speed throtled by my ISP) and I live in a house with flatmates that like to use things like bittorrent fedora pushes out updates very fast and it would cost me a lot of bandwidth if this was changed.

In Australia at least it is very hard (and expensive) to get unlimited broadband espeically if you live outside of a major city like me.

Comment

Originally posted by eidolon View Post
                      The self-fulfilling answer that seems to have been reached is "current Fedora developers", but perhaps the tree will bear fruit all the same.
                      I was going to say the same thing; sounds like the answer may already have been supplied, but only after some cursory 'investigation' of 1st-world country users....who cna speak English.

Hell, I'm on a 50/20 fibre link* and still welcome such practices, and have ALWAYS wished for the same feature on my apt-based systems (I always gravitate to deb-based, despite preferring pacman and yum/zypper). It's also the right thing to do as well as responsible and 'caring' for those of us who dont have the uber-nets. Linus-knows script/flash blockers can help with slow internets, too.

wtf's it costing otherwise.

*Pretty much all Australian connections are quota limited. I even get nerfed back to 256K. Seriously dark-age of the net shit.
                      Hi

Comment

Working...
                      X