Wasteland 2 Officially Launched Today, Including For Linux Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
    I'm not buying Linux games anymore, let me tell you why.

The last game I bought was Limbo from GOG and here's the result:

Yes, it's unplayable, and yes, after I paid for the fucking thing.
    I'm sorry to hear that. There are some bad ports yes, and it's sad when you buy a game that doesn't work. But don't generalize over one single bug. I bought several Linux games on Humble Bundle and on GOG.com, and never had any serious issue. All Unity games work very smoothly for example. And I'm using the free mesa drivers (on a Radeon hd6850).

Also please note that GOG.com has a 30-days warranty : if the technical support doesn't solve your problems, and you bought the game less than 30 days ago, they'll give you back the money : http://www.gog.com/support/website_h...back_guarantee . If it's not too late for your case, try to contact them.

Comment

The game is also broken on Arch Linux and I bet it doesn't work under Ubuntu as well. I'm happy to test it on both and I'm sure the result will be the same.
      It works on my Debian.

Also, if you want to use a "weird" distro (Arch, Gentoo, ... something not very "mainstream") and yet use games/programs packaged for Ubuntu/Mint, you could try to setup a chroot, this _should_ work, without requiring you to change your whole system. I used to do it to run 32-bits programs on my 64-bits system before Debian went multiarch.

Comment

I just tried it on Ubuntu, crashed before the game even started.

Just like I thought it would, I give up.
        I have more than 20 steam games on Linux, and they all work, most of them perfectly. The only one that had any issue was "Quest of Infamy" because the ancient Sierra like emulator it ran on works like crap on Linux.

Comment

Sorry about that, but first it was the Witcher and now this. I'm tired of paying for these "ports" that never work and when people report bugs the developer ignores them, and of course, after we paid for them, so I feel scammed and fooled.
          Your other posting has links to a bug tracker at Ryan Gordon's site. Did you buy the game from him directly?

Cheers,
          _

Comment

Has anyone tried this with the Radeon driver? I have a 4870, so catalyst is out of the question. Wondering whether you can get decent performance with the open source drivers. I am not looking for crazy frame rates, my monitor is only 1680x1050 anyway. I was a huge fan of the first 2 fallout games, so if it's playable I am willing to give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Saverios View Post
              Has anyone tried this with the Radeon driver? I have a 4870, so catalyst is out of the question. Wondering whether you can get decent performance with the open source drivers. I am not looking for crazy frame rates, my monitor is only 1680x1050 anyway. I was a huge fan of the first 2 fallout games, so if it's playable I am willing to give it a go.
              It's Unity 3D, the game engine known for frying GPUs because of it's shit rendering code, do you really expect it to work with OSS drivers?

Comment

This game is pretty awesome. There is noticeable screen tearing even with Vsync enabled when scrolling the screen, otherwise the game runs perfectly for me. I can't really speak of performance (Unity games are notorious for being poorly optimized) because I use a 780Ti which can brute force a good framerate out of even the most poorly optimized game.

Comment

Originally posted by Saverios View Post
                  Works very well for me on my HD6850 using Mesa (using Oibaf's PPA right now, but it seemed to work too with Debian's version) in 1920x1080. The only glitch I've had so far is that if I enable "motion blur" in the settings, I can corrupt display at high zoom levels, but without "motion blur" is works smoothly and beautifully so far. Not sure how it'll work on a 4870, but should work.

Also note that I had to remove the provided "lib/libstdc++.so.6" so it uses the system libstdc++, or it couldn't load the mesa driver... the bundled libstdc++ probably works on Ubuntu LTS but doesn't on my Debian Sid, it's too old.

Comment

I'm not buying Linux games anymore, let me tell you why.

The last game I bought was Limbo from GOG and here's the result:

Yes, it's unplayable, and yes, after I paid for the fucking thing.

Yes, there's that bug report, but the porter (Ryan "icculus" Gordon) has been ignoring all his bugs since he ever started porting games to Linux.

So I'm fucking frustrated of this fucking scammer and I'm not buying any games that he has touched anymore.

I'm fucking sick of it, and I don't get why all of you see this fucking piece of shit scammer as a "God", he's nothing but a fucking scammer, and I'm not throwing my money to these games that don't even fucking work.

Fuck you Icculus and fuck you GOG.
                    I suppose insulting Ryan will definitely get him to work. OTOH: Why not get the required OS? It says: "OS: SteamOS, Ubuntu 12.04 or later, or otherwise compatible Linux distribution." And to rub it in: It works like a charm on my Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
                      This game is pretty awesome. There is noticeable screen tearing even with Vsync enabled when scrolling the screen, otherwise the game runs perfectly for me. I can't really speak of performance (Unity games are notorious for being poorly optimized) because I use a 780Ti which can brute force a good framerate out of even the most poorly optimized game.
                      Works great here too. Some unoptimized areas here and there, but it appears to be disk or CPU because changing graphics settings does not affect it.

Still fun game, works great on linux. Warning: 22Gbyte download though.

Comment

Working...
                      X