No announcement yet.

Canonical Is Shutting Down Ubuntu One

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the worst news about Canonical that I had chance to read. I was happy that I did not have to pay Apple for music files, and Canonical had ported Ubuntu One to Mac OS X. I could buy music files from their store on any operating system, and later I could download music files on Ubuntu or Mac OS X.

I was expecting that they will do the same thing with movies in the future.

Unfortunately, I have read a lot of articles about financial situation in this company, and I think they will close USC in the near future.

I don't care If they used python to create Ubuntu One or not, because for me it worked very well.

Now, I will have to find an article about problems with music files from iTunes.
    I hope that readers had a chance to use Ubuntu one in a practice.

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post
      This is the worst news about Canonical that I had chance to read. I was happy that I did not have to pay Apple for music files, and Canonical had ported Ubuntu One to Mac OS X. I could buy music files from their store on any operating system, and later I could download music files on Ubuntu or Mac OS X.

I was expecting that they will do the same thing with movies in the future.

Unfortunately, I have read a lot of articles about financial situation in this company, and I think they will close USC in the near future.

I don't care If they used python to create Ubuntu One or not, because for me it worked very well.

Now, I will have to find an article about problems with music files from iTunes.
      I hope that readers had a chance to use Ubuntu one in a practice.
      It wasn't the quality of the service that killed U1. It was the number of paying users versus the people who used it. U1 started bad, but later became very stable and usable. I used it on regular basis and not once had problems with it.

Comment

The only thing i really enjoyed about it was the auto sync of the picturs directory...
        i will miss that, it was nicely integrated

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
          It wasn't the quality of the service that killed U1. It was the number of paying users versus the people who used it. U1 started bad, but later became very stable and usable. I used it on regular basis and not once had problems with it.
          I almost became a paying user, but the quality of the service stopped me.
          Before expanding my storage, I started setting up machines to use Ubuntu One. First I got some problems with Windows, but I let it pass. Than I've tried installing on my Debian machine, didn't even manage to get it running...
          I gave up and tried GDrive, Dropbox, SpiderOak, Copy... The winner btsync and rsync.

Comment

Originally posted by talvik View Post
            I almost became a paying user, but the quality of the service stopped me.
            Before expanding my storage, I started setting up machines to use Ubuntu One. First I got some problems with Windows, but I let it pass. Than I've tried installing on my Debian machine, didn't even manage to get it running...
            I gave up and tried GDrive, Dropbox, SpiderOak, Copy... The winner btsync and rsync.
            Dropbox is quite easy for interoperativity with lusers and such, I use it with a lot of care. I was looking for open source quivalents to btsync, but they seem to be not enough mature.

Open Source Continuous File Synchronization. Contribute to calmh/syncthing development by creating an account on GitHub.

Open source btsync clone. Contribute to jewel/clearskies development by creating an account on GitHub.

http://hive2hive.org (Java)
            A decentralized browser. Contribute to jminardi/syncnet development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Now than the source is available, I hope someone will continue working it

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                Now than the source is available, I hope someone will continue working it
                the source alone is not much i think, you still need a big server to store the suff and thats not cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                  Bad news for me. Now I need to search for an alternative. I guess with dropbox or google drive I can send download links to who ever I want, but without google etc. finding my stuff?
                  Google Drive doesn't have a Linux client so it's not an option. Dropbox has good Linux support and it does allow you to share files or directories with other people. Its sharing is actually quite nice but if you can share files with other people then DropBox themselves can also access your files. I think if you are sending sensitive stuff you should encrypt them yourself. No service can be trusted enough.

Comment

Basically this leaves only dropbox, since Onedrive and Google Drive don't have a linux client. There's SpiderOak, but it's good mostly for backup, and not great for syncing. I use dropbox because I got 50gb free for two years with my phone, but I would honestly prefer the Drive if they had a linux client, and I would've considered Ubuntu One.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                      Basically this leaves only dropbox, since Onedrive and Google Drive don't have a linux client.
                      There's an unofficial open source Linux client.

Comment

Working...
                      X