X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds Like Another "Me Too"

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Ubuntu To Abandon Upstart, Switch To Systemd

As a huge surprise move for Valentine's Day, Mark Shuttleworth has announced Ubuntu Linux will be abandoning the Upstart init system and be migrating to systemd...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYwNDE
    So what will differentiate different Linux distributions from each other now? The "init" system? Nope. What's left?

The type of distro release: "rolling" (like Arch) or "point in time" (like Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.); "enterprise" or "not enterprise" or "DIY" (like Gentoo or CRUX)

The package manager. Lots of "room for improvement" in some distributions and not so much in others. Maybe that will get sucked into the SystemD "vortex" in the future?

The desktop "look & feel". Ok, but that can be little more than cosmetic for those into UI given the 2 major underlying systems (Gnome & KDE), but "hardline CLI types" won't care.

The attitude of the distributor towards it's users and towards upstream. In this case Ubuntu has showed us how not to behave. There is Ubuntu trying to charge other distributions for basing off them (article is on Phoronix). There is/was the issue of Ubuntu sending or sharing your searches. There is the minimal amount of contributions by Canonical developers to kernel upstream (go read the changelogs on kernel.org) relative to the likes of Intel, Redhat, and possibly "indie" developers.

With most distros now "drinking the kool-aid" by using SystemD, and the recent news that Ubuntu would charge $$ for another distro to base off Ubuntu, I am looking forward to a distro shakeout where will see many "boutique distros" start to disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
      systemd was chosen
      You should not put words "systemd" and "chosen" in the same sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
        You are right, but without Ubuntu (it means Upstart is dead), the amount of init systems available drop to two: systemd and OpenRC. Sysvinit doesn't count, because all the TC agree upon the statement that everything is better and maintainable than sysvinit (even if it is not properly true in case of OpenRC), so I removed it from the sys init options.
        Now isn't it more hard than before try to convince the other TC member to adopt his L proposal?
        In the middle vote, Jackson voted DL even lower than DV. That means he would continue to push forward with L even if OpenRC went belly-up today as well. As for it being harder to convince others of L now ? not really, as so far I haven't seen anyone aside from Jackson intending to vote for L. The only amendments to L come from others asking Jackson to clarify his position (unless I'm forgetting something). So it won't be any harder, it will be just as hard. L didn't have any chance of passing before, and it doesn't have now just as well.

However, Jackson did state he'd sponsor a GR if he didn't get what he wanted. So I guess that's what he'll do, and hope the public overrides the TC.

Comment

I am not suprised. I don't think Shuttlewoth care that much if upstart or systemd won. Obviously the upstart developer and maintainer cared. He let them give upstart a try. When systemd won he switched.
          Around the tea party debacle he said at Lennaart Poetterings Google+ site somthing like the moment the people at Canonical said it was less work to switch to systemd than use upstart he supported a switch.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
            If you have the XWayland plugin available, yes. It will spawn an X server whenever you attempt to start an X application and work just like an X application.
            /facepalm

Are you for real? Or let me put it this way: you ever tried that in practice?

Comment

What He Said....

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
              Agreed

Comment

Arch chose systemd. Debian chose systemd. OpenSUSE chose systemd.

I know that you'll never be convinced of that, but nobody held a gun to their head. They made the choice of their own volition.

Comment

/facepalm

Are you for real? Or let me put it this way: you ever tried that in practice?
                  Yes, how DARE wayland still be under development! All these distros are switching to wayland right now, right?

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                    systemd has not been forced to any distribution's maintainer.
                    Actually...it was just NOW forced down the throats of UBUNTU and all their derivatives, so, don't say it wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                      Actually...it was just NOW forced down the throats of UBUNTU and all their derivatives,
                      ...by Mark Shuttleworth.

Comment

Working...
                      X