Ubuntu To Abandon Upstart, Switch To Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
    Thank you, Mark. This is a big "F yourselves kids" to people who systematically attack him and Canonical for everything they do. Sure, some of their decisions have been questionable, but also applies to me and what I do, and my wife still loves me
    only systemd-hating kids would attack him for this move
    btw, why do you think of yourself as of marks's wife ?

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Scimmia View Post
      Bullshit. Give me one reason why migrating away from systemd would be any harder than migrating to it.

Sure. Actually there's exactly one reason reason for that: systemd is steadily becoming a dependency for everything else.
      but it will not make migrating away from it any harder than ignoring it from the start. life is hard for suckers any way
      When it is and when Red Hat starts charging everyone for it, we'll talk about how easy is to break out of a walled garden.
      moron, systemd is not developed by redhat and it is free software

Comment

so upstart is not there anymore, with all the promises of an event based service/drivers/scripts loading that came with vanished cause of the stubborn debian guys that have the nih syndrome.(upstart is a project OLDER than systemd)

I'm against systemd for the simple reason that it's becoming too much intertwined with a lot of subsystems, the worst case beign gnome that can't be run without it(see all the problems the guys at sabayon had, they had to implement systemd on their own cause of it)
        Last edited by sireangelus; 14 February 2014, 03:02 PM. Reason: added things

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
          so upstart is not there anymore, with all the promises of an event based service/drivers/scripts loading that came with
          Because systemd does it better.

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
          cause of the stubborn debian guys that have the nih syndrome.(upstart is a project OLDER than systemd)
          NIH? You realize that Debian didn't write systemd, don't you? You might want to look up what NIH means.

Comment

Oh, so you can switch from X to Wayland today and everything that requires X will magically work?
            not magically, but via xwayland, stupid kid
            today not flawlessly though - that's why mainstream didn't start switching to wayland yet

Comment

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
              Is that a question? If so, I'll answer it - no, it's not. Debian isn't dropping sysvinit support from it's packages. Even if it was more difficult, that does not force them to change. It was a choice to take the easier road.
              Debian won't drop sysvinit in *future* releases , starting with Debia 8 ?!?
              I tought that they would as soon as transition to systemd is complete...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Upstart was a technically promising solution which the Debian Technical Committee (TC) praised for its code quality and technical merits.

Debian could have went with Upstart, but was held back by the CLA.
                If Canonical didn't require CLA on Upstart, the Debian outcome could have had an other outcome.

Canonical really shot themselves in the foot by forcing CLA and alienating themselves from the community.
                ....and will be CLA that will kill Mir in same way that Upstart.
                Community devs don't want CLA and i can't blame them.

Comment

You should not put words "systemd" and "chosen" in the same sentence.
                  you should not put your sentences in front of public

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                    Debian won't drop sysvinit in *future* releases , starting with Debia 8 ?!?
                    I tought that they would as soon as transition to systemd is complete...
                    Everyone on the TC is committed through Jessie, which means another 3 years minimum. Even when they do eventually drop it, Upstart wasn't really using them in the vast majority of cases anyway, the Ubuntu maintainers were adding their own Upstart support, so the whole point is moot.

Comment

Props to Canonical. It would have been hard for them personally to set Upstart aside after working on it and coming so far with it, and I think they made the right choice, and much sooner than I had anticipated.

Comment

Working...
                      X