Ubuntu To Abandon Upstart, Switch To Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    Actually...it was just NOW forced down the throats of UBUNTU and all their derivatives, so, don't say it wasn't.
    How so? They currently maintain upstart support in all of their packages, what stopped them from continuing to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
      /facepalm

Are you for real? Or let me put it this way: you ever tried that in practice?
      Uh yeah. It allows you to use applications like Chromium. Even flash support and other things work. This was months ago, unless its gotten worse, which I doubt, I doubt you have even tried it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        Yes, how DARE wayland still be under development! All these distros are switching to wayland right now, right?
        Calm down, I'm actually pro-Wayland. What I mean is that creating a working "compatibility" layer can be a tricky task even when nobody wanted it to be so.

Comment

And here's Langasek's take on this:

...hum. He still wants to go through with the whole systemd-shim thing. I suppose there is no harm in that, though ? GNOME maintainers can just drop it as soon as it stops being maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
            How so? They currently maintain upstart support in all of their packages, what stopped them from continuing to do that?
            ...because i was easier to convert from current Debian init to Upstart than from Debian with systemd to Upstart ?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              Implicit in this is that they're going to be dropping Mir soon too for all the same reasons.
              I believe that will end up that way also...in special if Ubuntu fails in Mobile market...

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                ...by Mark Shuttleworth.
                ...but did he have a choice ?

I don't think so....maybe for a short time , yes...and indeed that's exactly how it will happen like for 14.04 and i'm sure for 14.10...but in the long run ?

No way.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                  /facepalm

Are you for real? Or let me put it this way: you ever tried that in practice?

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
                    ...because i was easier to convert from current Debian init to Upstart than from Debian with systemd to Upstart ?
                    Is that a question? If so, I'll answer it - no, it's not. Debian isn't dropping sysvinit support from it's packages. Even if it was more difficult, that does not force them to change. It was a choice to take the easier road.
                    Last edited by Scimmia; 14 February 2014, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Canonical shot themselves in the foot with the CLA

Upstart was a technically promising solution which the Debian Technical Committee (TC) praised for its code quality and technical merits.

Debian could have went with Upstart, but was held back by the CLA.
                      If Canonical didn't require CLA on Upstart, the Debian outcome could have had an other outcome.

Canonical really shot themselves in the foot by forcing CLA and alienating themselves from the community.

Comment

Working...
                      X