Ubuntu To Abandon Upstart, Switch To Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nslqqq View Post
    Unexpected! So, systemd is de facto standart now.
    Yeah, like Internet Explorer was back in 2001. A standard, my friend, is something everyone agrees upon. Now when something is being pushed down everyone's throat - there's another word for that.

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
    They don't package Gnome 3 so they are not forced to switch
    Forced is the key word here. But the the crowd seems to be gleefully cheering about their newfound chains. So maybe we should leave them to their celebration and just wait till hangover changes the mood?

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
      Now someone has already informed the TC about the Mark's post, so we will see the reaction of Ian now.
      Probably he will continue his battle for the sake of liberty and so on... or maybe not, we will see.
      As I pointed out in another thread, Jackson is not fighting for Upstart, and never was. He is fighting against systemd, since he thinks there's some conspiracy going on (pretty much what prodigy_, CorkyAgain etc. seem to think). So I have little doubt he will continue pushing the the current L. We may hear some more tables being flipped, though.

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
        "Losing graciously" ...

why even pick up the fight in the first place? is there so much to compensate?

Had he seen the signs he would have switched and 14.04 would have systemD and no fight he had lost - and he would have debian maintain the init system for the next couple of years so he'd have more more resources for mir (...). If he is going to bring out a product he needs to focus on the technically best solution and not dabble with feelings. Still im happy he came back to reason and gave signals to switch.
        THOUGH i must say a certain amount of fragmentation might be welcome if there were issues, so there would be an elaborate alternative if issues appeared in the future. But with ubuntu being the biggest Linux Distro, I don't know if its wise to do...

Im not that much into technical details, so thats my muble and subjective opinion. And if anyone was to comment on it I'd sure get wiser
        Pretty much everyone used sysv init before alternatives like upstart and after that systemd came to life and quickly became usable. I don't think that this concern is justified.

Comment

if i had to guess, i'd say ubuntu is trying to mitigate self inflicted damage with this.

regular conspiracy theory from here on.
          1. upstart had no chance against systemd, so L coupling was introduced which puts them on feature equal grounds, but adds bonus of portability to upstart.
          2. main requirement for 1. to work, voting on coupling must be voted before default init was not met and that basically obliterated all the plans
          3. since systemd is default, upstart can't win or lose here any more, but T/L coupling hurts both equally, ubuntu drops upstart before that happens since T/L coupling would hurt ubuntu as well as make it would be really hard to compete against distros that don't self mutilate them selves in the name of unholy
          4. ubuntu dropping upstart takes away the reasoning for T/L as they effectively take out 1/4 of reason why vote should happen.
          5. debian will now be put under scrutiny where they need to decide if sysv and OpenRC are worth crippling debian linux ecosystem for

this move is basically game changer on next vote

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
            It's not like Debian switched its init system for the love of SystemD.
            not for love, but for technical superiority.
            but hey, nothing can stop you from sucking

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Jackson is not fighting for Upstart, and never was. He is fighting against systemd, since he thinks there's some conspiracy going on
              he just hates systemd developers because they are smarter than he

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                Yeah, like Internet Explorer was back in 2001. A standard, my friend, is something everyone agrees upon. Now when something is being pushed down everyone's throat - there's another word for that.
                systemd has not been forced to any distribution's maintainer.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  Pretty much everyone used sysv init before
                  Sysvinit was a concise and non-intrusive daemon that only did what it was supposed to do and never interfered with anything else. Hence migrating from sysvinit to systemd is very easy but migrating from systemd to anything (!) else may be hard to impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                    Sysvinit was a concise and non-intrusive daemon that only did what it was supposed to do and never interfered with anything else. Hence migrating from sysvinit to systemd is very easy but migrating from systemd to anything (!) else may be hard to impossible.
                    Bullshit. Give me one reason why migrating away from systemd would be any harder than migrating to it.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                      As I pointed out in another thread, Jackson is not fighting for Upstart, and never was. He is fighting against systemd, since he thinks there's some conspiracy going on (pretty much what prodigy_, CorkyAgain etc. seem to think). So I have little doubt he will continue pushing the the current L. We may hear some more tables being flipped, though.
                      You are right, but without Ubuntu (it means Upstart is dead), the amount of init systems available drop to two: systemd and OpenRC. Sysvinit doesn't count, because all the TC agree upon the statement that everything is better and maintainable than sysvinit (even if it is not properly true in case of OpenRC), so I removed it from the sys init options.
                      Now isn't it more hard than before try to convince the other TC member to adopt his L proposal?

Comment

Working...
                      X