No announcement yet.

Ubuntu To Abandon Upstart, Switch To Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think even "huge surprise" covers it. I'm shocked. Never thought I would see the day. When I first saw the headline, I figured it was a joke or that something had been misinterpreted.

Any chance the blog was hacked?

Comment

Ubuntu/Canonical made Upstart, not surprise they may see this decision as loosing.

On the other hand that decision also showed how much hate was going on around. Upstrart did not loose in 5 min no-brainer-say-yes discussion. It was serious contender.

Canonical can do good stuff.
      (And then slam bad CLA onto it )

Back to the now. No surprise here either. Canonical gain nothing by maintaining upstart after systemd is stable in debian. Its not user facing like say Unity. Adopting SystemD would alow them to actually relocate resources to things decisive for them (like Unity). Hence adopting SystemD is nobrainer after debian decision.

And well, we do not have toolkits that could abstract systemd/upstart/openrc/initv for developers... One good thing here is better.

And GJ to Upstart team too, they started process of departure from initv the big way.

Comment

Originally posted by rudregues View Post
        Very sad situation I agree.
        Long life to Gentoo and my OpenRC init system!
        btw systemd support in gentoo is superb and easy to switch back and forth if you know how to use gentoo (make.conf/USE="+/-systemd" emerge and eselect restart and enjoy), sure is not the default for now but it is completely supported and totally up to date.

i do have a hard time thinking how you see openrc better that systemd technically speaking, sure openrc is better than original sysV and maybe more featured that upstart in some aspects but it is ages away from systemd in basically everything starting from security and process tracking.

Note: if your reply don't provide any technical reasoning but anti lennard zealotry i won't loose my time replying back, if instead you have technical insides worth discussing ill be happy of exchange ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
          red hat continues to use upstart in this OS
          red hat continues to maintain old releases, in which upstart used only to run sysv scripts, not upstart jobs. recent fedoras and rhel 7 use systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
            Sorry to so many Linux distros jumping the shark and selling their souls. At least Gentoo and Slackware have not gone bat shit insane and are not making their init systems garbage.
            Don't forget PCLinuxOS. They don't package Gnome 3 so they are not forced to switch like Debiam was. It's not like Debian switched its init system for the love of SystemD. They did it for their love of Gnome. BTW, Gentoo users that want to run Gnome have to switch to SystemD as well.

Comment

However, more and more software from GNOME and other vendors is dependent upon systemd.
              That sentence says it all. The systemd advocates' strategy worked.

Comment

I'm now wondering what Langasek has to say about it. For him this is huge. Also, considering his recent behaviour, it makes me wonder, what happened first ? his change of heart or Canonical's internal decision to drop Upstart, and whether these two things influenced one another. Given that Langasek did claim he'd do that even before position statements, I'm inclined to think that he changed his opinion first, and then other Canonical people decided to just let him do whatever and just drop Upstart altogether.

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                btw systemd support in gentoo is superb and easy to switch back and forth
                Yes, now more than ever, which is very good. I like Gentoo quite a bit, and systemd just makes it that much better.

Comment

Originally posted by CorkyAgain View Post
                  That sentence says it all. The systemd advocates' strategy worked.
                  Yes, how DARE systemD developers make software developers actually want to use. The HORROR!

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
                    Don't forget PCLinuxOS. They don't package Gnome 3 so they are not forced to switch like Debiam was. It's not like Debian switched its init system for the love of SystemD. They did it for their love of Gnome. BTW, Gentoo users that want to run Gnome have to switch to SystemD as well.
                    Or they did it for the hate of sysvinit.

However the MS choice makes sense.
                    Now someone has already informed the TC about the Mark's post, so we will see the reaction of Ian now.
                    Probably he will continue his battle for the sake of liberty and so on... or maybe not, we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                      Linux Community Reaction:

This would be Schuttleworth's FACE if he would patch ever Linux software for upstart.

Smart move, I was expecting this.

You can combat ego stupidity with majority, if majority is smart.
                      Lets hope systemd won't fsck up.
                      Kudos to Lennarts input!

Comment

Working...
                      X