Ubuntu To Abandon Upstart, Switch To Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    If I remember correctly, Wayland follows Unix principles. It has one job and it does it well.
    i think you misunderstood my post wayland is awesome exactly for the reason you mentioned. what i was doing, was checking sanity of wayland over mir, since that nonsense invalidates whole reason why wayland is wayland (in order to remove the display server from picture, since last years more efforts went into how to bypass it with compositors than using it).

op suggested putting wayland over mir, which brings this structure: mir (display server)->wayland(display protocol)->wayland compositors. basically, get rid of X11 by replacing it with same features people want to get rid off in the 1st place

maybe my sarcarm was badly worded, english is not my native language

Comment

• Originally posted by caligula View Post
      Sorry. I kind of thought the Steam Linux client is called Steam OS.
      nope, steam client is steam client. a single piece of software. steamos is whole distro, where components are tweaked to best and easiest gaming performance and it runs steam client as its main DE in full screen.

ideally, once steamos is finished it would be the same as any console os. boot it up and play with couch experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        ...by Mark Shuttleworth.
        Ubuntu uses Upstart: "Shuttleworth forces everyone to use CLA! Bastard!"

Ubuntu uses Systemd: "Shuttleworth forces everyone to use Systemd! Bastard!"

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        The zealots who hated Ubuntu because it had upstart will now be able to hate it because it uses systemd.
        Seems so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
          I don't think even "huge surprise" covers it. I'm shocked. Never thought I would see the day. When I first saw the headline, I figured it was a joke or that something had been misinterpreted.

Any chance the blog was hacked?
          Why so surprised? It makes sense and is an overall win for Ubuntu: 1. A superior init system (at least Debian say so) 2. No need to patch systemd focused Debian packages 3. The Upstart team can be retasked; no need to pay people to write and maintain an init system anymore.

It's hilarious that the haters wanted Debian to choose systemd because they thought it would hurt Ubuntu, when in reality it is only going to help them.

Comment

• Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            i think you misunderstood my post wayland is awesome exactly for the reason you mentioned. what i was doing, was checking sanity of wayland over mir, since that nonsense invalidates whole reason why wayland is wayland (in order to remove the display server from picture, since last years more efforts went into how to bypass it with compositors than using it).

op suggested putting wayland over mir, which brings this structure: mir (display server)->wayland(display protocol)->wayland compositors. basically, get rid of X11 by replacing it with same features people want to get rid off in the 1st place

maybe my sarcarm was badly worded, english is not my native language
            Mir is a compositor. They have their own protocol without stability undertaking. Switch mir to the wayland protocol is probably way less work than switch kwin or gnome mutter to wayland.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisb View Post
              Ubuntu uses Upstart: "Shuttleworth forces everyone to use CLA! Bastard!"
              Ubuntu uses Systemd: "Shuttleworth forces everyone to use Systemd! Bastard!"
              If by "used" you mean developed for, then the numbers speak for themselves:

- Upstart has 18 contributors
              - Systemd has 495 contributors

I wonder how much of that is due to the CLA.

Comment

• Originally posted by psychoticmeow View Post
                If by "used" you mean developed for, then the numbers speak for themselves:

- Upstart has 18 contributors
                - Systemd has 495 contributors

I wonder how much of that is due to the CLA.
                Could be. On the other hand, it's already been proven in previous discussions that statistics on Ohloh are less than useless.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                  Could be. On the other hand, it's already been proven in previous discussions that statistics on Ohloh are less than useless.
                  From the source itself:

- Upstart has 22 contributors
                  - Systemd has 262 contributors

Comment

• Originally posted by felipe View Post
                    Believe or not GNU/Linux systems is moving away from POSIX standard, could be a good thing or not, anyways we should evolve and move forward. If the GNULinux systems are crap in 2 or more years, we can always burn it out and start over.
                    I'm gonna get some hate for saying this, but thank GOD if Linux is moving away from POSIX from what I've heard from Keithp and a few others. Parts of the spec are fundamentally broken, or at least fundamentally idiotic. Keith made the comment "Whoever thought of some of the API should be shot."

I'd be all for everyone coming together and defining a new POSIX API but somehow I doubt we could get everyone at the table to agree on a new spec. But hey, here's hoping
                    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                      I'm gonna get some hate for saying this, but thank GOD if Linux is moving away from POSIX from what I've heard from Keithp and a few others. Parts of the spec are fundamentally broken, or at least fundamentally idiotic. Keith made the comment "Whoever thought of some of the API should be shot."

I'd be all for everyone coming together and defining a new POSIX API but somehow I doubt we could get everyone at the table to agree on a new spec. But hey, here's hoping
                      Latest version is POSIX.1-2008.
                      Maybe there could be a POSIX.1-2014?

Comment

Working...
                      X