X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a2r-l
    replied
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    Aaaah, the pain. I just tried to get rid on my Gentoo system of it. Because - afaik - it was not maintained anymore by any upstream and it was spamming my htop list for years. Several dozens of consolekit lines...
    In htop, press F2, under "Display options", check "Hide userland threads". It becomes much more viewable

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    I would be surprised if Spotify donated. As far as I know this is one of the companies where the actual musicians get the lowest amount of the share possible.

Originally posted by teresaejunior
    Consolekit
    Aaaah, the pain. I just tried to get rid on my Gentoo system of it. Because - afaik - it was not maintained anymore by any upstream and it was spamming my htop list for years. Several dozens of consolekit lines... Now it's finally out but of course some things suddenly stopped working (mounting plugin devices or CDROMs in KDE for example without using manual mount on the command line).
    And all these *kits loved to depend on each other.
    Yeah it's clever, if you think you need one (or if you actually do or some program forces a dependency on you) then the whole trail of its family comes with it.

I am happy that Gentoo leaves me a choice of init systems to use. On my HDD installations I also tend to use e4rat and parallel startup and it boots up fairly fast.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by squirrl View Post
    Why do they still include SELINUX? It's not used at all.
    In case someone WANTS to use it

Leave a comment:

• squirrl
    replied
    Why do they still include SELINUX? It's not used at all.

Leave a comment:

• stevenc
    replied
    It does feel kinda cool to find out where Debian or its derivates end up being used, though. Like Valve's SteamOS, like Nokia's N900 phone, like all of Google's servers, like laptops for astronauts onboard the ISS.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    Then such developers are worthless. Like it or not Spotify is a customer, to keep good customers you need to at least listen to their opinions and rationally evaluate what is being said.
    Debian doesn't get PAID by Spotify.. They aren't CUSTOMERS. If Spotify uses Debian without contributing then they are no different than any other random user who simply uses Debian and their opinion doesn't have any more backing. Now, if Spotify DOES contribute and is willing to KEEP contributing, perhaps even in the realm of systemd, then that's different.

Leave a comment:

• teresaejunior
    replied
    [deleted]
    Last edited by teresaejunior; 08 November 2020, 09:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• teresaejunior
    replied
    Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    Best thing would be choice. Because some people might hesitate to use thing Lennart Poettering touched. Because some of these things are broken or they require a trail of dependencies you don't want. Besides, it leaves BSD (and possibly others) before closed doors which isn't all that nice. I understand the demand for fast booting but there should be ways to do that without all the hassle.
    Agreed! I simply love sysvinit, because it is very simple and works well, but lately, I'm not too worried for what init system Debian chooses, because I hardly do a fresh boot, I mostly hibernate. The worst problem here is that we are talking about replacing something true and tried with something that just may not work, from the same developers of Pulseaudio, ConsoleKit, PolicyKit..., which are the only things that gives me lots of headache even on Debian Stable.

Also, from many many tests I have done about one year ago, init+readahead-fedora or init+e4rat still boots much faster than systemd with its own readahead, so this one benefit is mostly psychological.

And I really couldn't care less for what some company says. The biggest strength of Debian is that it doesn't let any company do any lobbying. That was one of the main reasons I decided to stay with it over the years, just have a look at other distros that change goals from night to day and users have to flock away.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Originally posted by marciocr View Post
    It will impress only if the intention is to contribute. If not, it is only a opinion. And opinion do not impress developers.
    Then such developers are worthless. Like it or not Spotify is a customer, to keep good customers you need to at least listen to their opinions and rationally evaluate what is being said.

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    Best thing would be choice. Because some people might hesitate to use thing Lennart Poettering touched. Because some of these things are broken or they require a trail of dependencies you don't want. Besides, it leaves BSD (and possibly others) before closed doors which isn't all that nice. I understand the demand for fast booting but there should be ways to do that without all the hassle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X