X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    How about Android on ChromeOS? Otherwise you're comparing Apple to Orange.
    Except that Chromebooks are not sold in this country. No demand for it at all. And I'm not exactly keen on plonking down a couple grand for a Pixel (with another 100+ for shipping) with only 32GB of storage space, even though the screen is a wet dream come true.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Not to mention that Windows Phone 8 plays so much better on Windows 8 than Android does on a Linux system...and this is speaking from personal experience with 2 such smartphones.
    How about Android on ChromeOS? Otherwise you're comparing Apple to Orange.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

yes the addiction I got that feeling also that windows is designed to be addictive. Not just usefull and stuff but addictive.
    As example the bugs in windows the old bluescreens generated a mindset to people that "never touch a running system" is a good thing, thats maybe not totaly wrong, but it generated a fear of trying out new stuff, that was bigger than needed.

And when I thought about the addictive thing last time, I heard sombody in a video youtube say, "is it only me that feels very pleased by the feedback the widnows button gives you after doing stuff on the tablet (a physical windows logo button) its a bit like a rumble effect or zapping or so.

And then he showed the totaly unintuitive features, he tried to tell his mother how to use it. and had to describe every step, not like in the ios-tablet where she came along with some tipps.

So they train us gestures that makes no sense at all and are totaly unintuitive for what, that we cant at some point use devices/programms that use intuitive gestures.

They train us to learn that if something does the right thing it must be wrong because it does not behave like windows.

And with the feedback from this button on their new surface tablets I thought instantly to the whistle dog-trainers have to train the dogs.... I dont wanna be threaded like a dog
    I just don't understand why people are hating on Windows 8 so much. Using it on a Surface was great, except when the limitations of the RT version kicked in. Sold it off and imported a Surface Pro from the US and everything is now gravy. There's no way I will want to install Linux on this tablet (even though SB can be easily disabled to do so) after having played with it for some time.

And yes, Microsoft's products are addicting. Very addicting, i might add, to the point where I seem to have divided my computing time on my desktop and notebooks to 50% Windows 8 and 50% Fedora. Office 2013, SQL Server and Visual Studio alone are almost enough to send me completely back over to Windows land.

Not to mention that Windows Phone 8 plays so much better on Windows 8 than Android does on a Linux system...and this is speaking from personal experience with 2 such smartphones.
    Last edited by Sonadow; 02 April 2013, 11:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• akincer
    replied
    Originally posted by ruinairas View Post
    Well, there goes my method of showing people Ubuntu. People feel more comfortable using WUBI than using a real partition. I dunno why, it's just that way. I can't wait to explain to some of my friends why I can't install 13.04 on their computer using WUBI now. >.>

I myself don't care about WUBI I just use regular installations. The biggest gripe I have is having to manually change the boot order in the config file. I wish there was a different way of doing this with GRUB.
    Virtualbox. You're welcome.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
    It was a helpfull option for people with laptops where all 4 primery MBR partitions where used by Windows an it's recovery tools. And a way to test out the propritery graphics drivers without comitting.
    Good thing we're moving towards GPT, then.

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    yes the addiction I got that feeling also that windows is designed to be addictive. Not just usefull and stuff but addictive.
    Yeap, that's also the whole reason behind programs like DreamSpark. They give out their products for free or nearly so for teaching purposes. And then students have no idea how programs and OSs other than MS ones work.

Leave a comment:

• blackiwid
    replied
    Originally posted by ruinairas View Post
    Well, there goes my method of showing people Ubuntu. People feel more comfortable using WUBI than using a real partition. I dunno why, it's just that way. I can't wait to explain to some of my friends why I can't install 13.04 on their computer using WUBI now. >.>

I myself don't care about WUBI I just use regular installations. The biggest gripe I have is having to manually change the boot order in the config file. I wish there was a different way of doing this with GRUB.
    partialy it was said already:

1. its only disabled for next release,

2.do you really think for a newcomer it does really matter if you show them 12.10 or 13.04 release. they use a windows from several years ago probably.

3. If you got somebody into trying out over the wubi installer a ubuntu verison, and they dont wanted it, do you think they want it suddenly now after doing it again?

4. if you got them to install the windows-installation, I would most likely think a update to 13.04 from the installation would work.

5. just to show it, a live-usb-stick is way less problematic than installing it. with a installation you risk to damage the system, with a live-usb-stick not, its read-only.

So if I really consider to show somebody the newest linux I would always use the livecd, and if they like it, but are not 100% shure, but dont wwant to use the livecd always because of sticking it out on the laptop or becauswe they want to use it for something else, I would maybe after that install it with wubi, if they feel undesisive or something about installing it completly without a totaly easy deinstallation fuction.

Originally posted by Mike Frett View Post
    I feel this is good news, if you want the full experience of an OS you need to do a regular Install. And to be quite frank of in my views, multiple Operating Systems are not necessary anymore unless you have some kind of addiction in which you feel like you absolutely must use a particular OS; in which case I recommend treating your addiction, which is really fear of of losing something which you don't really need.
    As example the bugs in windows the old bluescreens generated a mindset to people that "never touch a running system" is a good thing, thats maybe not totaly wrong, but it generated a fear of trying out new stuff, that was bigger than needed.

And when I thought about the addictive thing last time, I heard sombody in a video youtube say, "is it only me that feels very pleased by the feedback the widnows button gives you after doing stuff on the tablet (a physical windows logo button) its a bit like a rumble effect or zapping or so.

And then he showed the totaly unintuitive features, he tried to tell his mother how to use it. and had to describe every step, not like in the ios-tablet where she came along with some tipps.

So they train us gestures that makes no sense at all and are totaly unintuitive for what, that we cant at some point use devices/programms that use intuitive gestures.

They train us to learn that if something does the right thing it must be wrong because it does not behave like windows.

And with the feedback from this button on their new surface tablets I thought instantly to the whistle dog-trainers have to train the dogs.... I dont wanna be threaded like a dog
    Last edited by blackiwid; 02 April 2013, 07:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AJenbo
    replied
    It was a helpfull option for people with laptops where all 4 primery MBR partitions where used by Windows an it's recovery tools. And a way to test out the propritery graphics drivers without comitting.

Leave a comment:

• who_me
    replied
    Originally posted by rafirafi View Post
    Wubi was popular in a specific population : people used to Windows since they were born, with curiosity but not willing to break the familly's computer.
    Wubi was a great initiative for these people and without it they will possibly only try live-cd andnever switch to linux...
    There is no reason in this day and age to use WUBI. I used something like it way, way back. It was called WinLinux. It pretty much did what WUBI does today on Win 95 /98 (maybe Me?). Buuuut, today we have virtual machines, powerful computers and good disk imaging software that can be obtained at no cost (like the free version of Macrium Reflect).

If you are the one that is helping friends and family install Ubuntu, than do it properly for God's sake.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Frett
    replied
    Good news

I feel this is good news, if you want the full experience of an OS you need to do a regular Install. And to be quite frank of in my views, multiple Operating Systems are not necessary anymore unless you have some kind of addiction in which you feel like you absolutely must use a particular OS; in which case I recommend treating your addiction, which is really fear of of losing something which you don't really need.

A lot of people complain about Office for example, yet if you started out using something like Open Office for example, you wouldn't have that 'hook' that makes you feel like you have no other options. I had those hooks buried deep in me with Games, for 15 years I was hooked. Playing around with different flavors of Linux for many years, I couldn't find anything I could really replace Windows with, only in 2012 with Xubuntu was I able to finally kick my addiction.

I was a pretty hardcore Windows users, and I said a lot of bad things about Linux in those times. It just all boils down to fear of change and hooks put in proprietary Operating Systems, designed to keep you addicted. Well I learned my lesson after many years and I don't care what happens, I'm not going back. Honestly I think Wubi was a terrible way to introduce people to Linux, a Live CD was much better, even for me.

Leave a comment:

• AJenbo
    replied
    The bugs where what kept med from working om the USB feature, i rathere expected them to drop it. If some one needs wubi they can stick with 12.04 for the next 4 years, besides it only works on pre win8 systems so bleeding edge isnt Required.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X