Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hooluupog
    replied
    I didn't use wubi. When a newer version of ubuntu released i can use livdcd to give it a try and decide whether to upgrade or not. In most cases what i really need is a tool or a method to easily and safely install windows within ubuntu(just like apple's bootcamp). Currently i use vbox to install windows7 but its performance is relatively poor.

Leave a comment:

• rainbyte
    replied
    Well, maybe those people can try Linux using a livecd or from a pendrive.

When they begin to feel comfortable, they can install to the harddisk.

Using and old harddisk is also an option, but pendrives are cheap now.

Leave a comment:

• intellivision
    replied
    Originally posted by ruinairas View Post
    Well, there goes my method of showing people Ubuntu. People feel more comfortable using WUBI than using a real partition. I dunno why, it's just that way. I can't wait to explain to some of my friends why I can't install 13.04 on their computer using WUBI now. >.>

I myself don't care about WUBI I just use regular installations. The biggest gripe I have is having to manually change the boot order in the config file. I wish there was a different way of doing this with GRUB.
    Well, I do think that they should have put more development into Wubi but I'd rather have it left out then have it ship full of bugs.
    Besides, they said that it would be for this release, there was nothing said about it being left out of future releases so there might be a chance it'll make it back in 13.10.

Leave a comment:

• rafirafi
    replied
    Wubi was popular in a specific population : people used to Windows since they were born, with curiosity but not willing to break the familly's computer.
    Wubi was a great initiative for these people and without it they will possibly only try live-cd andnever switch to linux...

Leave a comment:

• ruinairas
    replied
    Well, there goes my method of showing people Ubuntu. People feel more comfortable using WUBI than using a real partition. I dunno why, it's just that way. I can't wait to explain to some of my friends why I can't install 13.04 on their computer using WUBI now. >.>

I myself don't care about WUBI I just use regular installations. The biggest gripe I have is having to manually change the boot order in the config file. I wish there was a different way of doing this with GRUB.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Ubuntu 13.04 To Axe The Wubi Windows Installer

Ubuntu 13.04 To Axe The Wubi Windows Installer

Phoronix: Ubuntu 13.04 To Axe The Wubi Windows Installer

One of the less popular ways to use Ubuntu Linux has been through the "Wubi" Windows-based installer that places Ubuntu within a Windows installation just as you would any other application. However, Canonical is planning to remove Wubi from Ubuntu 13.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X