Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 19 Feature Talk: Cloud, Java 8, Yum, Syslinux

Phoronix: Fedora 19 Feature Talk: Cloud, Java 8, Yum, Syslinux

Another round of features for Fedora 19 have been proposed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

predictable interface names?

Isn't this the third or fourth time they've tried to introduce this feature?

Every other time they backed it out or I disabled it because the interface names were EVEN LESS PREDICTABLE.

I would LOVE a Fedora release with NO NEW FEATURES. It would be GREAT if the developers decided to take a whole release cycle to tamp down the existing mess.

But HEY it appear that Fedora developers are all PRIMA DONNAS and none of them are willing to take the CRUMMY BUT NECESSARY task of DRAWING DOWN THE BUG QUEUE.

Yes we ALL LOVE to add new features and check in our spiffy new code don't we? Fixing bugs is unglamorous and boring and apparently SOMEONE ELSE's JOB.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
      I would LOVE a Fedora release with NO NEW FEATURES. It would be GREAT if the developers decided to take a whole release cycle to tamp down the existing mess.

But HEY it appear that Fedora developers are all PRIMA DONNAS and none of them are willing to take the CRUMMY BUT NECESSARY task of DRAWING DOWN THE BUG QUEUE.

Yes we ALL LOVE to add new features and check in our spiffy new code don't we? Fixing bugs is unglamorous and boring and apparently SOMEONE ELSE's JOB.
      It works that way already. Just don't upgrade to the next major release. Stick on the release you've got and just install the minor updates and bug fixes that come out. Releases are supported for 13 months.

e.g. "Fedora 17 will be maintained until 1 month after the release of Fedora 19."

Comment

I am looking forward

I am looking forward to Java 8 because Java 6 is really shitty compared to C#.
        I hope Java 7 and Java 8 are much better than Java 6.

I also look forward to Shared System Certificates which seems like a good idea.

Comment

Fedora is for new fatures, for stability there is Red Hat Linux.

Comment

How can one advance Linux development by not advancing Linux development?

As far as I know: Fedora does a huge upstream effort. If there are bugs, they are fixed upstream wherever possible.

So Fedora is about advancing upstream Linux, and where exactly are they doing the wrong thing?

Comment

Isn't this the third or fourth time they've tried to introduce this feature?

Every other time they backed it out or I disabled it because the interface names were EVEN LESS PREDICTABLE.
              This is entirely wrong. Biosdevname was proposed and implemented in one release and systemd functionality is a ADDITIONAL optional way of doing it. It was never ever backed out. Also, introducing new functionality doesn't preclude Fedora developers from fixing bugs. One goes hand in hand with another. In fact, the sheer number of bug fixes contributed by Fedora is probably more than any other distro.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I am looking forward to Java 8 because Java 6 is really shitty compared to C#.
                I hope Java 7 and Java 8 are much better than Java 6.
                I really like AutoCloseable and try-with-resources in Java 7.

I'm very excited for Java 8 as well, as I've been starting to use static null analysis in my code (spurred by support in Eclipse), and Java 8 "Type Annotations" will close the gaps required to make those a lot more useful.

Comment

Working...
                X