X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XorEaxEax
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
    You won't be forced over unless you use software which ends up requiring systemd. The wiki is usually out of date until people get around to updating it, but what part did you mean specifically?

Anyway the news post is on the front page: http://www.archlinux.org/news/system...installations/
    I personally have no problem with systemd as from what I've read it is a clear improvement compared to the existing solutions and although I haven't switched yet I will do so shortly, Arch officially switching to it thus makes perfect sense to me. That said I'm not to keen on systemd more or less integrating udev which I have read is what is happening, as I'm a firm believer of flexibility and 'survival of the fittest'.

I think systemd is currently the best init system but chances are someone else will come up with something even better if there are good conditions for experimentation and having such core functionality like udev more or less incorporated into systemd means it will be at the very least harder for alternatives to emerge, not to mention making it harder for already available alternatives.

Leave a comment:

• TheCycoONE
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan555a View Post
    I guess me and the arch's wiki are not up to date
    You won't be forced over unless you use software which ends up requiring systemd. The wiki is usually out of date until people get around to updating it, but what part did you mean specifically?

Anyway the news post is on the front page: http://www.archlinux.org/news/system...installations/

Leave a comment:

• Dan555a
    replied
    I guess me and the arch's wiki are not up to date

Leave a comment:

• TheCycoONE
    replied
    Today

Originally posted by Leon55ia View Post
    This will change in the near future, but they're not quite ready to recommend it for all new installs yet.
    Today they've switch to making it default in new installs.

Leave a comment:

• Ansla
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Sigh. What distro is there for the "change for the *worse* is bad" folks?
    Of course, Gentoo.

You can use Gentoo in any combination you like: w/wo systemd, w/wo pulseaudio, w/wo networkmanager. For example on my laptop I find networkmanager useful so I use it, my desktops however don't use it.

Leave a comment:

• Leon55ia
    replied
    This will change in the near future, but they're not quite ready to recommend it for all new installs yet.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Eh, all my Mac-using friends think that OS X too has gone for the worse lately, going too walled garden even for their tastes.
    Probably won't be long when you can no longer install software not in the Mac App Store.
    It had a trollface smiley next to it but it got lost. Anyway. Win 8 for you then. Or you can try Haiku which is cool.

Seriously give systemd a try. If you have a spare computer or set it in a VM or whatever. I believe you ll like it. The udev thing will be fixed once they stop the name calling in the LKML.

Come to the dark side.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by LightBit View Post
    Mac OS X has launchd, which is similar to systemd.
    systemd is Linux launchd-- elaboration below.

Ubuntu wanted to use launchd originally but the Apple Open Source License wasn't FOSS friendly enough so they didnt do. A few months later Apple relicensed launchd under the Apache license but by then Upstart had already started to be written and Ubuntu was locked into Not-Invented-Here.

Lennart has even said he used launchd as inspiration for systemd but he wanted to take advantage of kernel features that are Linux-specific so he couldn't just USE launchd since then they'd add features to launchd that would only be usable under Linux and its doubtful Apple would allow that.

So either

1) Apple would have to start pulling ideas into their kernel that were based off of Linux (IP lawyers probably wouldnt like that with the GPL) or
    2) you'd have OS X launchd with some features, and Linux launchd with others, OR
    3) you'd have Lennart forking launchd and bolting the linux features ontop of the existing code.

Quite frankly of those I think Lennart made the right choice when he chose option 4: write his own, with linux in mind from the beginning using launchd as inspiration of features.

Leave a comment:

• LightBit
    replied
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    Mac OS X
    Mac OS X has launchd, which is similar to systemd.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    Mac OS X
    Eh, all my Mac-using friends think that OS X too has gone for the worse lately, going too walled garden even for their tastes.
    Probably won't be long when you can no longer install software not in the Mac App Store.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X