X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by mdias View Post
    Chaka is no longer based on Arch and has its own completely separate package repository. Also it only provides one desktop environment and it is not a bleedin edge rolling release distribution like Arch but rather has it's own half rolling release model (stable core, rolling applications).It's not as easy to use as Mint or Ubuntu either because it lacks proper graphical package manager (it's in progress) and the installer is still what it is.

Leave a comment:

• mdias
    replied
    Originally posted by F i L View Post
    There really needs to be a distro and software-center based off Arch Linux which is designed to be as easy to use a Ubuntu/Mint... that would be awesome, and I hope we see it some day soon.
    http://chakra-project.org/

More here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...tions_(Active)

Leave a comment:

• F i L
    replied
    Arch supports almost every DE/WM out there (including Cinnamon, Unity and Gala through the AUR), and it's rolling release is awesome. It's the way all software distros should work, IMO. Unfortunately it's waaaay to difficult to set up for common users, and maintenance sometimes becomes a challenge when core features change (like the move to systemd). There really needs to be a distro and software-center based off Arch Linux which is designed to be as easy to use a Ubuntu/Mint... that would be awesome, and I hope we see it some day soon.

Leave a comment:

• TheCycoONE
    replied
    It's not quite clear from the article, but notably only the install medium uses systemd, the default install is still sysvinit/initscripts. This will change in the near future, but they're not quite ready to recommend it for all new installs yet.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Arch Linux Moves Forward With Systemd

Arch Linux Moves Forward With Systemd

Phoronix: Arch Linux Moves Forward With Systemd

The latest monthly snapshot of the Arch Linux rolling release install meda is now using systemd rather than SysVinit for booting up the system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X