What's Coming Up For Ubuntu 11.10 & The Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    I wasn't be so sure. They'll start shipping Qt applications and Qt players are far better than crappy banshee.
    I'm not particularly fond of Banshee either. But Banshee does have Amazon MP3 store integration and that's going to be a source of revenue for Canonical.

IIRC normally the affiliate revenue generated by Banshee's Amazon MP3 store would go to the GNOME foundation but Canonical substituted some strings in the code and now takes a 75% cut of the affiliate revenue. So I think it's unlikely they'll change the music player anytime soon

Comment

Originally posted by md1032 View Post
      I really hope they fix the menu bar placement in Unity to at least have an option to put it back in the windows. Focus-follows-mouse plus Unity is completely unusable right now.
      There's an option to disable global menus. Check the manual or google.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
        I'm not particularly fond of Banshee either. But Banshee does have Amazon MP3 store integration and that's going to be a source of revenue for Canonical.

IIRC normally the affiliate revenue generated by Banshee's Amazon MP3 store would go to the GNOME foundation but Canonical substituted some strings in the code and now takes a 75% cut of the affiliate revenue. So I think it's unlikely they'll change the music player anytime soon
        IIRC the split is 50-50 and they give the user the option to move 100% to the gnome foundation if they wish to.

(Yes, I refuse to type all-caps gnome. It looks ridiculous.)

Comment

Originally posted by locovaca View Post
          It'd be nice if someone did a survey of if people are burning ISOs anymore. Half my machines don't even have an optical drive and all of my installs occur via TFTP/NFS or a USB stick. With the number of smaller laptops forgoing optical drives and people just preferring usb sticks speed and versatility the 700 meg limit seems a little more unnecessary, but I have no evidence for that.
          I've got Ubuntu on 5 systems currently, and 4 of them were installed from optical drives. The 4th machine is a VMware server that is co-located and was installed from a local disc store.

I personally don't see myself going without an optical drive in the near future. My mythtv box uses it for CD/DVD playback, my laptops both have optical drives, and my desktop has both a DVD+RW and Bluray reader (for when people accidentally buy me Bluray discs as a gift...).

Besides that, I'd have to rip ISOs of all of my game/application installers and host them on a networked drive... I am, however, perfectly ok with the idea that Ubuntu could switch to DVD ISOs if they need the space.

Comment

Installing from cd/dvd is really slow compared to usb key. U just loses additional time when they install additional language packs or extra apps. Kanotix is much faster to install...

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
              Get rid of Tomboy, Aisleriot, gbrainy, revert Banshee to Rhythmbox, cull more LibreOffice bloatcode and kill /usr/share/example-content.
              Banshee is a much more capable player than rhythmbox, and massive improvements are instore for 2.1 and 2.2. Reverting to rhythmbox would be a big step backwards.

And who still uses cdr's these days? I have installed linux using only usb flash drives for years. Faster, re-usable (therefore cheaper) and more space.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                And who still uses cdr's these days? I have installed linux using only usb flash drives for years. Faster, re-usable (therefore cheaper) and more space.
                That's assuming you've got a spare USB stick laying around. I've only got the one, and I haven't bothered to buy any extras. I still have a few spindles of blank CDs laying around, and it gives me the peace of mind to know that I've always got a bootable live-cd laying around just in case I need it.

I have also been using CD-RWs when possible to save the waste of a CD-R if I can.

One of these days I'll get around to acquiring another thumb drive, but for now I've still got plenty of spare CDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                  One of these days I'll get around to acquiring another thumb drive, but for now I've still got plenty of spare CDs.
                  1. Visit an expo
                  2. ???
                  3. Profit!

It's not hard to get free ones

Comment

@Veerappan

As Kanotix is always ahead of U you usually need an usb key to install - a cd will not be enough - or do you have got lots of spare dvd too

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                      That's assuming you've got a spare USB stick laying around. I've only got the one, and I haven't bothered to buy any extras. I still have a few spindles of blank CDs laying around, and it gives me the peace of mind to know that I've always got a bootable live-cd laying around just in case I need it.

I have also been using CD-RWs when possible to save the waste of a CD-R if I can.

Buy Team Color Turn 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (Purple) Model TG004GE902V with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

$7 shipped. Save the blank CDs for when you *really* need optical media.

Comment

Working...
                      X