No announcement yet.

What's Coming Up For Ubuntu 11.10 & The Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's also very nice to be able to use the exact same email client and interface across Windows (7 mostly), Mac OS, Solaris, and Linux. I used to use a combination of Outlook 2007, Apple Mail, and Evolution. Combining to a single application with IMAP, synced calendar, and shared address book was a major improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
      Well, that's what Thunderbird does too.
      No, I'm pretty sure Thunderbird uses POP/IMAP. Evolution uses MAPI, the native Exchange/Outlook protocol.

Comment

the decision for dropping evolution, would be to finally separate calendar events from it and add them to the clock applet itself.

i have always wanted to use events, but didnt want/need evolution.

if you still want to use evolution, you can reinstall it.

Comment

it might be a good idea if they went over the 700mb limit already.

i think that is holding them back. If making the best OS they can takes a little more than 700mb (1gb) then they should do it.

maybe release a smaller barebones version for those that still want it to fit a cd (like opensuse does).

and with their Own unity GUI, they are NOT Dependant so much on gnome releases anymore and can expand the 6 months schedule to 7 or 8 months if necessary (release when polished and ready !!!)

also, one thing i would like to see is BTRFS soon ;/

ps. stop trolling about mono, they are not going to get rid of it for a good while.

Comment

thats bad

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
              it might be a good idea if they went over the 700mb limit already.

i think that is holding them back. If making the best OS they can takes a little more than 700mb (1gb) then they should do it.

maybe release a smaller barebones version for those that still want it to fit a cd (like opensuse does).

and with their Own unity GUI, they are NOT Dependant so much on gnome releases anymore and can expand the 6 months schedule to 7 or 8 months if necessary (release when polished and ready !!!)

also, one thing i would like to see is BTRFS soon ;/

ps. stop trolling about mono, they are not going to get rid of it for a good while.
              It'd be nice if someone did a survey of if people are burning ISOs anymore. Half my machines don't even have an optical drive and all of my installs occur via TFTP/NFS or a USB stick. With the number of smaller laptops forgoing optical drives and people just preferring usb sticks speed and versatility the 700 meg limit seems a little more unnecessary, but I have no evidence for that.

Comment

I really hope they fix the menu bar placement in Unity to at least have an option to put it back in the windows. Focus-follows-mouse plus Unity is completely unusable right now.

Comment

I wasn't be so sure. They'll start shipping Qt applications and Qt players are far better than crappy banshee.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    I wasn't be so sure. They'll start shipping Qt applications and Qt players are far better than crappy banshee.
                    example?

and how well do they integrate with my gtk theme, so i can try them now.

also am liking banshee more than rhythmbox and integration with miro and other stuff is very nice

Comment

and how well do they integrate with my gtk theme, so i can try them now.
                      Perfectly, as all Qt applications are native Gtk+ applications (when run in a Gtk+ environment).

Qt4 GUI is not a GUI toolkit, but a GUI toolkit wrapper, not unlike gtkmm or Gtk# . Unlike gtkmm and Gtk# , however, it supports using many different toolkits as a backend, including Gtk+, win32, cacao and carbon. It also includes a simple themeable toolkit for situations when no other toolkit is available (such as for Qt/embedded). KDE provides some enhancements to the built in toolkit (such as improved file and print dialogues) as well as a quite good theme (Oxygen), so most KDE centric distros, including Kubuntu, configures that as the default. However, most distros, including Ubuntu, uses the Gtk+ backend by default when inside a GNOME session, so if you are a GNOME user and launches a qt application you should not notice any difference at all.

Note: Some of the KDE enhancements to Qt does not play well with the Gtk+ backend (or Win32 backend for that matter), so some KDE applications might misbehave slightly when run in GNOME, but will generally behave much better than GNOME applications running in KDE.

Comment

Working...
                      X