Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Was Your First Linux Distribution?

I just thought I would ask what your first Linux distribution was that you ever tried.

My first distribution that I used way back when was Mandrake.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

First one I used was Fedora Core 2, my dad got me onto it. He's been using *nix since the mid '80s, so you can tell me doesn't have much love for windows, hehe.

Comment

Slackware, back in 1995 or 1996 and Redhat since 1998. I'm still using both.

I tried Mandrake and I didn't liked-it much, tried Ubuntu for a few days. I'm not that much of a distrowhore so I keep using what works for me, Slackware and Redhat/Fedora.

Comment

Corel Linux 1.0

Comment

RedHat 6.1 (got it in a book), then 7.(something) shortly thereafter. However, I really cut my teeth on RedHat 9.

I have also used Fedora Core 1, 2, 3, and 5. Then switched to Debian unstable not too long ago.

Comment

Heh... All of you are young'uns... >:-)

Yggdrasil Plug-and-Play Linux 1.0, followed up by Slackware when Yggdrasil bailed out of the distribution business.

Comment

started with SuSE 5.3, switched to Redhat 8 when it was
              released, got annoyed with it after a week (always had to install
              some damned -devel rpms for some trivial source package) and finally switched to Gentoo.

Comment

First Distro

I played with two of them, however My "First" one was mandrake 7.0 I then dumped that quickly and used Redhat 7.1 and used Redhat faithfully to Redhat 9

Comment

Heh... All of you are young'uns... >:-)
                  Not really, I started working as an assembler programmer on an IBM 360/35 under Dos power back in 1970.
                  Last edited by glussier; 24 May 2007, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glussier View Post
                    Not really, I started working as an assembler programmer on an IBM 360/35 under Dos power back in 1970.
                    ROFLMAO! I think I was referring to the relative age of when they got into Linux... You've got me beat a little bit on the being in the industry by a few years- I started my futzing with computers about around 1976 or so and got to professionally doing things on computers about around 1987. An IBM 360/35 under DOS? You know that kind of dates you, don't you? >:-)

Comment

Working...
                    X