This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael
    started a topic What Was Your First Linux Distribution?

What Was Your First Linux Distribution?

I just thought I would ask what your first Linux distribution was that you ever tried.

My first distribution that I used way back when was Mandrake.

• JosiahBradley
    replied
    Oh man it's been awhile. Had to look up the versions, but first distro was most likely Knoppix 3.2 followed by Gentoo 1.4ish. There was some dabbling in Ubuntu 5.04 then back to Gentoo for awhile. Now I mainly work with Redhat Enterprise and Centos. Going to try ClearLinux next.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Interesting question but honestly I can’t remember for certain. Tried many but then decide upon Redhat way back in the day before Fedora existed. That was Redhat 4 I believe.

Leave a comment:

• Rafale83
    replied
    My very first UNIX distribution was SCO XENIX. Yes. MS old SYS V one. Boring.
    My first Linux distribution was SLS, downloaded by V22bis and then V32 modem.
    Then, bored by magnetic medias troubles, I switched to Yggdrasil plus and play Linux by cdrom ! Linux kernel 0.99pl7 IIRC...
    I switched again, very soon, to the vanilla Slackware, very BSD stylish, that learned me all.
    Tried rpm one at some moment, but early switched to Debian I can still use for some applications.
    I'm happy with Gentoo since 3-4 years. I should have switched to much early.
    27 years of Linuxing.
    30 years of Unix "pragma".

Happy to contribute here. Long life to Phoronix !

Leave a comment:

• Oddsocks
    replied
    Red Hat 5.2 (iirc) Roughcuts on an Amiga 4000.

Leave a comment:

• mrazster
    replied
    RedHat 5.6

Leave a comment:

• Mindcloud
    replied
    I started on RedHat 4 on CDs I had to mail order back in the mid 90s, I also loved Mandrake

Leave a comment:

• chroma
    replied
    Slackware 1.0 in 1994, from a small handful of 3.5" floppy diskettes providing the base OS, networking, and X11. It, along with a CSLIP connection at 14.4kbps dialup, unleashed the full potential of my i80486sx/25 system and gained me entry into the modern age (though I quickly found it desirable to upgrade to 8MB of RAM to run Mosaic in XFree86 without swapping.)

Leave a comment:

• BrotherBeijing
    replied
    BSD around 1978

Leave a comment:

• zerothruster
    replied
    RedHat 6.2 - late 1999, came with a new magazine (Linux Format), and after my injury I had time to play with this OS I'd heard about. But installing it was *hard*, not helped by trying to choose the individual packages.

That was on a secondhand laptop I'd bought for playing with it. After that, Mandriva-7.0 on a desktop system, Yellow Dog on an ibook, occasional painful excursions into debian or ubuntu (painful as in: "I can't use my keyboard mappings because it doesn't use kbd for the console"), but eventually moved to LFS ("My distro, my rules").

Leave a comment:

Working...
X