Mark Shuttleworth Talks About What Ubuntu Contributes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by next9 View Post
    It is a store, where today only proprietary applications earn money.
    But in the future things will change.

What in theory will or would be... I would rather leave without comment.
    Have they not stated that when they can they'll be offering an avenue for open projects to receive funds?

But then, maybe, I would change my mind.
    I guess we shouldn't have to wait too long for your mind to change.

Comment

Oh Yeah.... Ubuntu! Give me ammunition every day....

Ubuntu crippled Evolution to automatically add signature as "Sent from Ubuntu" (no matter what the user think about it)

Evolution should offer the choice of a signature such as "Sent from Ubuntu.", or similar. -------------- The mirror is bug #642839, which requests tweaking/removal of the implemented signature, it was fixed on 2010-09-20. The signature is added to list of "off-the-shelf" signatures, But the signature is NOT ADDED TO EMAILS unless the user selects it in their account preferences. For removal instructions on an individual machine, or account that was installed between 2010-08-28 and 2010-09-...

This is what I am talking about. Task number one is self propagation - sometimes at all cost, not contribution.

Comment

Ubuntu crippled Evolution to automatically add signature as "Sent from Ubuntu" (no matter what the user think about it)

Evolution should offer the choice of a signature such as "Sent from Ubuntu.", or similar. -------------- The mirror is bug #642839, which requests tweaking/removal of the implemented signature, it was fixed on 2010-09-20. The signature is added to list of "off-the-shelf" signatures, But the signature is NOT ADDED TO EMAILS unless the user selects it in their account preferences. For removal instructions on an individual machine, or account that was installed between 2010-08-28 and 2010-09-...

This is what I am talking about. Task number one is self propagation - sometimes at all cost, not contribution.
        This is what you consider crippling Evolution and self propagation at all costs? You're being ridiculous. Should I be surprised.

Oh, and by the way they've removed the signature for your information.

Comment

Obvious troll is obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
            This is what you consider crippling Evolution and self propagation at all costs? You're being ridiculous. Should I be surprised.

Oh, and by the way they've removed the signature for your information.
            What if they put this effort into OpenOffice development for example? This is what I am talking about. On on side, you defend Ubuntu with very little resources, on the other side they put their resources into these "things". Last tme I checked they built-in commercial advertisement into R-software-package (opensource software), propagating commercial alternative

Comment

What if they put this effort into OpenOffice development for example?
              Ahh, ha, ha, ha....

Fixing Open Office is as easy as changing one string in Evolution eh?

This is what I am talking about.
              No, surely you're just trolling for laughs.

On on side, you defend Ubuntu with very little resources, on the other side they put their resources into these "things". Last tme I checked they built-in commercial advertisement into R-software-package (opensource software).
              As has been said already,

Obvious troll is obvious.

Comment

I would point out that if adding a string is easy, then a simple page (html, plain text, whatever) saying "Thanks to all folks at OpenOffice.org, Gnome, KDE, and every other open source programmer that has made Ubuntu possible".

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                  I would point out that if adding a string is easy, then a simple page (html, plain text, whatever) saying "Thanks to all folks at OpenOffice.org, Gnome, KDE, and every other open source programmer that has made Ubuntu possible".
                  It's not uncommon at all for Mark Shuttleworth to say thank you to the developers of the software upon which Ubuntu is built.

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                    It's not uncommon at all for Mark Shuttleworth to say thank you to the developers of the software upon which Ubuntu is built.
                    Brilliant, can you show me where? That would definitely nullify one of the problems I have with Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
                      Brilliant, can you show me where? That would definitely nullify one of the problems I have with Ubuntu.
                      Originally posted by Mark Shuttleworth
                      Ubuntu, and the possibilities it creates, could not have come about without the extraordinary Linux community, which wouldn?t exist without the GNU community, and couldn?t have risen to prominence without the efforts of companies like IBM and Red Hat. And it would be a very different story if it weren?t for the Mozilla folks and Netscape before them, and GNOME and KDE, and Debian, and Google and everyone else who have exercised that stack in so many different ways, making it better along the way. There are tens of thousands of people who are not in any way shape or form associated with Ubuntu, who make this story real. Many of them have been working at it for more than a decade ? it takes a long time to make an overnight success while Ubuntu has only been on the scene six years. So Ubuntu cannot be credited solely for the delight of its users.
                      Here's an interesting read.
                      http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/517

Comment

Working...
                      X