Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yahoo Pays Canonical, Now They're The Ubuntu Default

Phoronix: Yahoo Pays Canonical, Now They're The Ubuntu Default

Canonical's Rick Spencer has written about two small changes that are happening to Mozilla Firefox in Ubuntu 10.04. The first is the default Ubuntu home-page with its search box in Firefox will now follow whatever the user has set as their default search engine in Firefox...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh my god.. I guess business is business overall.

Comment

Interesting.

While this isn't nearly enough, anything to level the playing field between searrh vendors is a good thing in my book. Google is amassing too much power for our good.

Comment

yes, google is becoming really powerful. but i think it's okay if a company monopolizes as long as they do good. and google is COMPLETELY open source friendly.

and didn't microsoft and yahoo make an agreement also?
        i think yahoo is becoming partially bing powered.

well, anyway, this just makes me want to switch to fedora even more

Comment

For me it's good news, it's not a direct deal with M$ and a tiny change that could make good money for Canonical some day and I think Google has been doing too well and hence has backed off a lot from the "don't be evil" slogan, so it's a good reality check for Google too.

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post
            ... and google is COMPLETELY open source friendly.
            I beg to differ, at least a lot of their apps are not open source (Google Earth, their search infrastructure etc etc), so if that's "completely open source friendly" then how do we call companies that are actually 100% open source friendly? "Super mega duper open source friendly"??

Comment

Aren't they just taking away the Mozilla-foundation's revenue (well, part of it)? IIRC they've got a similar deal with google.
              If that's the case I'd say that's a kinda shitty thing of canonical to do. Sure, it's open-source so it's (legally) OK, but I still think that that revenue is rightfully Mozillas.

Comment

Its all about the dollar bills...

Comment

Wow, I'm impressed. I don't care what search engine Ubuntu decides to use, but the fact that yahoo stroke a deal with Canonical means that Ubuntu actually counts. I had never thought about this, always assumed that the search engine was left to Firefox default one. Good and very interesting news.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                    Wow, I'm impressed. I don't care what search engine Ubuntu decides to use, but the fact that yahoo stroke a deal with Canonical means that Ubuntu actually counts. I had never thought about this, always assumed that the search engine was left to Firefox default one. Good and very interesting news.
                    can't agree more.

Comment

Working...
                    X