Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does Ubuntu have that Debian hasn't, except better marketing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well as debian has got 3 flavors plus experimental (with latest xorg code) there is certainly something there for anybody. Just when you want to use stable as desktop then the pure debian solution is really not ideal so a distro based on it is the better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
      Actually fglrx users are the free alpha testers for ati, didn't Bridgman tell you ?
      Um... hold on a minute... I don't actually remember saying that...
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
        What does Ubuntu have that Debian hasn't, except better marketing?
        More brownness?

Comment

maybe http://www.sidux.com/ is a better solution. rolling distro with sid...

Comment

Ubuntu lacks the annoying Free Software "advocates" (I call them lunatics), which is a plus. Lots of brain damage is happening in Debian due to that.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
              Ubuntu lacks the annoying Free Software "advocates" (I call them lunatics), which is a plus. Lots of brain damage is happening in Debian due to that.
              i agree. free software exclusively without choice is certainly no freedom to me. As far as proprietary badness inside the OS goes, i think ubuntu has hit the nail on the head.

Comment

I think they're both pretty identical, except for a few things:

- One is brown, the other is blue

- Ubuntu has Pulseaudio integrated (for better or worse)

- Ubuntu is more bleeding edge, like Debian Sid

- Ubuntu is ok with proprietary stuff, they're not afraid to use it if it means the difference between something working or not at all. I'd rather have something work and be proprietary than not function, because if it doesn't function, whats the point?

I'm totally for free software don't get me wrong, however, looking at free software nuts (like Stallman), I can't help but to think that they would rather wipe their asses with poison ivy than use toilet paper from the store. It might be completely free, but its not gonna work out that well I don't think.

Comment

Originally posted by kyzz View Post
                  I'm totally for free software don't get me wrong, however, looking at free software nuts (like Stallman), I can't help but to think that they would rather wipe their asses with poison ivy than use toilet paper from the store. It might be completely free, but its not gonna work out that well I don't think.
                  Added to favorite quotes.

Comment

ubuntu is several months away from bleeding edge!

without other repos you can forget it!

a reason why i consider http://www.sidux.com/

Comment

sid will not be bleeding edge as soon as squeeze freezes which might be in 2 month. I supported Kanotix sid and basically it is took me too much time to check if something will break from one day to another. 90% of the forum/irc is then about dist-upgrade problems, that's not really interesting. If you need something bleeding edge compile it yourself. Without packageing do not install globally but in your home. Learn the --prefix option to use, never use checkinstall.

Comment

Working...
                      X