Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AlmaLinux Now Available For The Raspberry Pi 5

Phoronix: AlmaLinux Now Available For The Raspberry Pi 5

Coincidentally coming out on the day of Raspberry Pi's IPO is AlmaLinux providing official support for the Raspberry Pi 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

DietPi is still the king for SBCs

Comment

I wonder how Alma runs on this low end system?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
        I wonder how Alma runs on this low end system?
        The Pi5 is pretty good. Under the correct kind of workloads making use of the multiple cores, it is verging on a Pentium 4 kind of experience.

... but as we know Gnome 3+ runs like shite on any machine, so ultimately Alma will offer a decent CLI and lighter WM experience.

Comment

I had AL8.9 running on an 8G RPi5 with the 6.6.x kernel etc grafted from (Debian Bookworm) RaspberryPi OS - the AL8.9 distro 6.1 kernel wouldn't boot. The AL8.9 user space worked fine.
          I have now installed the AL8.10 image (6.6 kernel) onto a usb ssd which runs reasonably well. I replaced the swapfile with a swap partition and 4G zram which might help if memory is a probkem. Installing the 'Server with GUI' group the Gnome runs ok but noticeably slower. Normally install Openbox and (build) Tint2 so gnome isn't really a problem.
          I normally prefer the root, /usr, /var etc on separate lvm2 volumes but I don't understand the RPi5 boot process enough to get that to work.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            ... but as we know Gnome 3+ runs like shite on any machine, so ultimately Alma will offer a decent CLI and lighter WM experience.
            I was running GNOME on ~14 years old machine and it was perfectly usable. Pi 5 is more than capable of running it wit decent performance.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

I was running GNOME on ~14 years old machine and it was perfectly usable. Pi 5 is more than capable of running it wit decent performance.
              Gnome 2 or Gnome 3+? I think some people are just used to an even more snappy interface than others.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Gnome 2 or Gnome 3+? I think some people are just used to an even more snappy interface than others.
                GNOME 40 and slow GUI is unacceptable for me. That whole "GNOME is slow everywhere" is just a myth.

Comment

Working...
                X