Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Downloads Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post

do-release-upgrade still doesn't see any new version when i try to upgrade from 23.10
    I read that "Note: For upgrades from 23.10, there may a delay of a few hours to days between the official release announcements and the Ubuntu Release Team enabling upgrades."

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
      I have only Firefox and Thunderbird snaps installed in a default installation. I think it should be the firmwares causing the inflation.
      ​​​​​
      yes exactly... snaps are a waste of disc space true but if you need multible copies of 62mb firmware this grow fast to multible GB of size in the .iso of the ububuntu installer disc. wait 2-3 years and we will have 2 gb of only firmwares...
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

Kubuntu ISO files can be downloaded now from http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/r...24.04/release/
        Kubuntu is still on the KDE 5.27, that is really disappointing.

Comment

Just like with Fedora i spent an entire morning testing in a live environment.

Unlike with Fedora 40, I decided to install it on my guinea pig system.

What's there to say, it's Ubuntu.

Really wish they would stop with the different point releases, just have Ubuntu and release updates as needed.

Now need for multiple versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
            As someone previously mentioned, Ubuntu and its derivatives are fast becoming the LSB of Linux.

While not a fan of Ubuntu over snaps, having it slide into the role of a "base" defacto distribution is definitely a good thing to have. Practically everything out in the wild, even Chinese and Russian Linux software packages, have packages for Ubuntu, or provide build instructions with Ubuntu as a base.
            You may be right but it wouldn't really make a difference.

The fact is that if you want professional grade video editing, broadcasting, compositing and finishing, you using a Mac.

With the exception of Vegas which is Windows only, every other tool that is used in the production of movies and TV is either Mac only, Mac and Windows only or Mac, Windows and Linux.

But The stuff that is basically must have, is Mac only, so you always need at least one Mac machine in the workflow.

And since this is the case, you may as well just go all Mac and be done with it.

Now cue the people that have never edited a thing in their lives that try to prove me wrong by giving me a link to something they do not understand.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              Just like with Fedora i spent an entire morning testing in a live environment.
              Unlike with Fedora 40, I decided to install it on my guinea pig system.
              What's there to say, it's Ubuntu.
              Really wish they would stop with the different point releases, just have Ubuntu and release updates as needed.
              Now need for multiple versions.
              its not Ubuntu it has no "snap" bullshit inside. flatpak and flathub is already a superior solution.

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                do-release-upgrade still doesn't see any new version when i try to upgrade from 23.10
                Yes, this has always been the case with Ubuntu .0 releases. You are required to force the upgrade until .1 is released.

Comment

For me, the exciting thing is that many ROCm 5.7.1 libraries are available in the universe repositories, with the enabled hardware list expanded beyond what's provided by AMD official releases, including all discrete Vega, RDNA 1, RDNA 2, RDNA 3, CDNA 1 and CDNA 2 GPUs. It was even built for ppc64el hosts. I'm curious if anyone has tried it on the Raptor Talos II. There was a Phoronix article about that ages ago when the driver support was added. The arm64 builds were dropped at the last minute due to an incompatibility between HIP and glibc 2.39, but they might be re-enabled if that gets fixed in a patch release.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

i have the weird feeling that if Adobe ever decides to release CC for Linux, it will be for Ubuntu and in Snap only.
                    i dont see the problem, more software better and people can install snaps in all distros

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

You may be right but it wouldn't really make a difference.

The fact is that if you want professional grade video editing, broadcasting, compositing and finishing, you using a Mac.

With the exception of Vegas which is Windows only, every other tool that is used in the production of movies and TV is either Mac only, Mac and Windows only or Mac, Windows and Linux.

But The stuff that is basically must have, is Mac only, so you always need at least one Mac machine in the workflow.

And since this is the case, you may as well just go all Mac and be done with it.

Now cue the people that have never edited a thing in their lives that try to prove me wrong by giving me a link to something they do not understand.
                      Right, but I will much rather stay with Windows, where every software I need is readily available from software houses and used by many other working people, where any accessory or peripheral (especially WiFi cards) will always have official Windows drivers from the vendors themself no matter what, and where any notebook will definitely have the required WMI and EC drivers either already in Windows or as official downloadable drivers from the OEM.

And for the record, CJK IMEs work flawlessly on Windows, macOS and ChromeOS. But still a steaming mess under Wayland in Linux. And fcitx5 is refusing to build because undefined references to some functions even though all the relevant *-dev packages are installed.

The handful of utilities or tools that are Linux-only, I can spin up WSL2.

Comment

Working...
                      X