No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Downloads Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to hear they made a great release; will upgrade my system over the weekend.
    Now, they just need to unlock snapd from that single monopolized backend, and Ubuntu will be respected again.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
      Now, they just need to unlock snapd from that single monopolized backend, and Ubuntu will be respected again.
      No, they just need to make snapfck an option instead of making it mandatory for a growing number of packages.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post
        What's the story with the ISO size inflation, it's up to 5.7GB now?? While the default package selection is more or less the same, it was
        4.7 GB in 22.04,
        4.1 GB in 20.04,
        2.3 GB in 18.04.
        That's like 0.5-1 GB increase per LTS release. I don't notice this trend with other distros.
        This is mainly caused by the new subiquity installer. Kubuntu 24.04 for example is smaller than Kubuntu 22.04, because it uses another installer. Also more kernel variants are shipped in the Ubuntu standard ISO, like the TPM kernel.

Comment

I just did an update-upgrade on my server and ... apparently there were no updates since last weekend, I was already on Kubuntu 24.04.

Since I have been on daily builds since two months, I missed the joy of release day. You guys enjoy.

My desktop computer and notebook are now on Fedora 40. I like using two great distributions.
          Last edited by mrg666; 25 April 2024, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Why is the link to releases.ubuntu.com http instead of https?

Comment

Originally posted by swastika View Post
              Snaps are large and Canonical continues to progressively replace native Debian upstream packages with Snaps.
              is it only snaps or is it that the nvidia firmware is 62mb and you need multiple copies of them ?
              Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

is it only snaps or is it that the nvidia firmware is 62mb and you need multiple copies of them ?
                I have only Firefox and Thunderbird snaps installed in a default installation. I think it should be the firmwares causing the inflation.
                ​​​​​

Comment

As someone previously mentioned, Ubuntu and its derivatives are fast becoming the LSB of Linux.

While not a fan of Ubuntu over snaps, having it slide into the role of a "base" defacto distribution is definitely a good thing to have. Practically everything out in the wild, even Chinese and Russian Linux software packages, have packages for Ubuntu, or provide build instructions with Ubuntu as a base.

About bloody time too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    As someone previously mentioned, Ubuntu and its derivatives are fast becoming the LSB of Linux.

While not a fan of Ubuntu over snaps, having it slide into the role of a "base" defacto distribution is definitely a good thing to have. Practically everything out in the wild, even Chinese and Russian Linux software packages, have packages for Ubuntu, or provide build instructions with Ubuntu as a base.

About bloody time too.

i have the weird feeling that if Adobe ever decides to release CC for Linux, it will be for Ubuntu and in Snap only.

Comment

Originally posted by AKoskovich View Post
                      Kind of insane that they didn't consider TPM FDE installs being broken to be a release blocker. That was the biggest feature of this release IMO.
                      could you elaborate on that, please? that was a feature I was looking forward too the most, does it work, does it work sometimes or not at all? i havent tried to do the clean install of the newest ubuntu yet.

btw,
                      do-release-upgrade still doesn't see any new version when i try to upgrade from 23.10

Comment

Working...
                      X