No announcement yet.

Fedora Linux 40 Available For Download As A Wonderful Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnome Shell and Wonderful are mutually exclusive terms. Horrible is more like it.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post

That risk is true on all distros, not just Arch. That’s why Fedora really wants you to reboot every time you update, just like Windows.

As for SELinux, it’s nothing more than an annoyance. Completely unnecessary for most desktop and server use, there’s a reason Debian, Ubuntu and SUSE all use AppArmor instead, and why most Fedora users I know immediately put SELinux into permissive mode so it stops annoying them.
      Feature disabled.
      It is suitable for people who don't know how things work or don't want to solve anything.​
      I don't really need it to restart at least 2x every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Spajdrex View Post
        Copied Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-40-1.14 ISO to (Ventoy) disk. Booted, started installation, hard lock in a few seconds.
        Checked ISO, no errors were found. So that's about it.
        It works with everything for me.
        I use GPT and EFI everywhere (disks+flashes).​

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

It was one of the only distros affected by the XZ fiasco. Plus, when I'm at work, I need to *know* that my system is not going to break today. "It's been good so far" is not good enough. But as I said, that's not diminishing Arch's merits, I just see it as fitting other use cases, that's all.
          It actually wasn't. It's still carrying 5.6.1: https://archlinux.org/packages/?sort...iner=&flagged=
          They're building from source, not from the compromised tarballs.

Comment

I just spent the morning, the past 3 hours, testing Fedora 40 KDE and Fedora 40 Mate on live environments and I do not see anything "wonderful" about them.

In fact I am struggling to see any reason for their existence, other than a desire be able to say that they did something, in other words i see this release, like most releases as "busy work".

The Linux ecosystem reminds me of GMC from a couple of decades ago when they had Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Cadillac and sometimes the differentiation between the various versions were largely cosmetic or in trim.

Someone tell me what is so fundamentally different between Fedora 37, 38, 39, 40 to warrant a new version number.

If i were in charge of Fedora, or Ubuntu or any distro that features point releases, i would stop all development of any new releases.

There would be no Fedora 41, it would just be Fedora and I would concentrate all my resources on producing a couple of unique applications that could only run on Fedora, something to differentiate and justify someone running Arch, or Ubuntu or Manjaro or any of them switching to Fedora.

Because right now there isn't any reasons.

Oh, and the wallpapers suck, they look like some high school kid's attempt at impressionism for an art class he is being forced to take.

Other than that it really is a "wonderful" release.

Comment

Originally posted by Spajdrex View Post
              Copied Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-40-1.14 ISO to (Ventoy) disk. Booted, started installation, hard lock in a few seconds.
              Checked ISO, no errors were found. So that's about it.
              Odd, i used Ventoy to test Fedora 40 KDE and Fedora 40 Mate and it worked fine for me.

In fact I no longer bother flashing drives with ISOs, i have a 256gb stick that I installed Ventoy on it and I use it to install Windows 10, Windows 11, as well as various BSD's and Linux distros.

I have at least a dozen ISOs on the disk and I never had a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post
                the only issue i have with SELINUX on Nixos is I need to "sudo reboot" instead of just "reboot" from the terminal if I want to reboot quickly. Really tempted to try out this iteration of Fedora but I might just switch to GNOME in Nix and call it a day.
                alias reboot="$echo <password> | sudo -S reboot"

This should allow you to just type reboot and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post

SUSE have not switched to SELinux, they are experimenting with it for MicroOS. SUSE Linux Enterprise, openSUSE Leap and Tumbleweed all still use AppArmor and will continue to for the foreseeable future. Android is the one area SELinux actually works because it's supposed to be locked down
                  SUSE has directly informed as a customer that they are adopting SELinux and not merely experimenting. I am in fact typing this from a SELinux enabled SUSE system. SELinux works fine in RHEL, Fedora and Gentoo hardened too in addition to millions of Android systems.

Comment

This revision of Fedora should come with a privacy blanket. They shipped it with plymouth with bug (in all textual themes) that does not mask LUKS password characters while typing 😂
                    Other than that looks solid.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

alias reboot="$echo <password> | sudo -S reboot"

This should allow you to just type reboot and be done with it.
                      Putting the password in clear text in a file is horribly bad advice.

Comment

Working...
                      X