Fedora Linux 40 Available For Download As A Wonderful Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    Hundreds of 3rd party packages released as deb or rpm that you can only get from some rando on the AUR or from some other rando on flathub?
    The problem with deb and rpm packages is that you are left to the whims of the various distros as to what compile time options are enabled.

Avidemux is a perfect example, if you install the default deb or rpm, you would never know that Avidemux supports hardware encoding, hardware resize, 3dluts, or AI upscaling.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

The problem with deb and rpm packages is that you are left to the whims of the various distros as to what compile time options are enabled.

Avidemux is a perfect example, if you install the default deb or rpm, you would never know that Avidemux supports hardware encoding, hardware resize, 3dluts, or AI upscaling.
      Seems like an imperfect example, as avidemux's official downloads are AppImages that should work just as well on Arch as any other distro.

Comment

Eh, the wallpaper is a downgrade.

It doesn't scream fresh or bleeding tech

Comment

Seems like an imperfect example, as avidemux's official downloads are AppImages that should work just as well on Arch as any other distro.
          AppImages do not work as well as you're proposing, once you step outside Ubuntu/Debian its a lottery if they work depending on what dependencies were bundled and what is on the host system, and the ABI compatibility between them.

on Fedora, they do not work well.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

This, and also Fedora and Ubuntu should stop shipping with systemd-resolved enabled by default, which suffers from endless DNS resolution issues. I mean it sometimes stops resolving simply because there's a slight packet loss and it causes websites to randomly load forever until it starts resolving again. It's unbelievable that 2 of the most popular distributions have such a fundamentally broken piece of software enabled by default.
            Well no, systemd-resolved is the only stub resolver implementation in existence that is fundamentally not broken. Any other resolver may as well just not exist at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Doesn't it use GCC 14? At least according to this source it currently has GCC 14.0.1.
              Yes the default compiler is GCC 14. 0.1
              Code:
              dnf list installed | grep gcc
              annobin-plugin-gcc.x86_64 12.46-1.fc40 @updates

gcc.x86_64 14.0.1-0.15.fc40 @fedora

gcc-c++.x86_64 14.0.1-0.15.fc40 @fedora

gcc-gfortran.x86_64 14.0.1-0.15.fc40 @fedora

gcc-plugin-annobin.x86_64 14.0.1-0.15.fc40 @fedora

libgcc.x86_64 14.0.1-0.15.fc40 @fedora

I have been using the beta, and now, the final release. I think I like it. I don't change Linux distributions frequently. Next decade seems like Fedora for me after Slackware and Ubuntu.
              Last edited by mrg666; 23 April 2024, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

AppImages do not work as well as you're proposing, once you step outside Ubuntu/Debian its a lottery if they work depending on what dependencies were bundled and what is on the host system, and the ABI compatibility between them.

on Fedora, they do not work well.
                That's interesting, I've been on Ubuntu-LTS-derived Trisquel for too long, I don't know much about the compatibility problems everyone else faces. Seems like 3rd party projects package for Ubuntu LTS if they are going to package for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Well no, systemd-resolved is the only stub resolver implementation in existence that is fundamentally not broken. Any other resolver may as well just not exist at this point.
                  Not broken? Then why are this and this issues, 2 of the most prominent issues of systemd-resolved still open for many years? In the former issue I suggest you to read one of the later comments that has 68 likes. He explains exactly what's wrong with the code.

If it's not broken, then why did I experience random slowdowns of site loading on Ubuntu and Fedora because resolved randomly stops resolving for some reason? Also, resolved consistently takes at least a few minutes to fully load all elements in one specific website, which is also a sign that something is broken in the way it works.

If it's not broken, then why does this Red Hat DNS engineer agree that systemd-resolved is a bad implementation ? This same guy even created a Fedora package, which is a script that disables resolved if it causes issues. This says a lot about how "not broken" it is. This guy has also posted that the code of resolved itself is fixable, but the main problem is the attitude of Systemd devs.

Your comment is a typical example of total denial mode. For me personally, distros that don't enable resolved (e.g Debian and OpenSUSE) are like a breath of fresh air. Suddenly I don't experience these insane random slowdowns of site loading which make me pull my hair.
                  Last edited by user1; 23 April 2024, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I'm talking about if you install it from the repos that each distro offers versus downloading the official release or building it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

There's always risk when upgrading core packages on Arch. Furthermore, you have to set up SELinux on your own etc. That's why I've switched to Fedora.
                      That risk is true on all distros, not just Arch. That’s why Fedora really wants you to reboot every time you update, just like Windows.

As for SELinux, it’s nothing more than an annoyance. Completely unnecessary for most desktop and server use, there’s a reason Debian, Ubuntu and SUSE all use AppArmor instead, and why most Fedora users I know immediately put SELinux into permissive mode so it stops annoying them.

Comment

Working...
                      X