Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 24.04 Boosts Performance, Outperforming Windows 11 On The AMD Ryzen Framework 16 Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Not trillions of dollars, billions yes, but not trillions.

I think the Windows code base is suffering from the same thing projects like Gnome, KDE, and the Linux kernel are, namely lots of legacy cruft.

I've said this before, what i would love to see MS do is start over with a relatively clean code base, start with BSD as the core, use the Lumina desktop, both of these are under the commercially friendly BSD style licenses, layer .NET on top of it, which already works on BSD, layer DX on top of it, and call it a day.

Release two versions, one a legally free version that people can download and install as they desire, this one will have no updates and will not be able to run MS like games or MS Office and a premium or pro version that can run MS games and MS Office.

This version would have product activation and enforce a 1 seat per license model.

I think that would be great for everyone.
    It sounds disgusting. I hope you realize there are a lot more use cases for operating systems than that, right? One OS that can't be used and another that won't be used. MS would dead in a year.

Comment

There was some noise about x86-64 v2 or v3 rebuilds of Ubuntu, would be nice to compare the difference. I hoped they'll release new LTS with v2 optimizations.

Comment

I've said this before, what i would love to see MS do is start over with a relatively clean code base, start with BSD as the core, use the Lumina desktop
        You think MS should reinvent the discontinued TrueBSD/Project Trident?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          I'd kinda like an analysis of what these performance differences mean. Is it filesystem or disk or scheduler? Or is it background processes? A lot of these benchmarks are highly CPU bound where Linux is quite a bit faster than Windows, but being CPU bound many of these results should be nearly identical. I'm having trouble interpreting where exactly the performance difference is coming from.
          most likely they are down to 100% being compiler related, this is not tests that in any meaningful way stress the scheduler and as you say the CPU bound tests (which basically is all of them) should be 100% identical since they are all doing their stuff in userspace in tight loops. Now there are ofc other things that can affect this, like Windows scheduler not liking a single cpu to go to 100% load when the others are free so it instead tosses such a process around so the load is equal on all cores at the same time leading to much increased latency and/or differences in memory management.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            You think MS should reinvent the discontinued TrueBSD/Project Trident?
            Not reinvent, continue from where it left off.

I loved PC-BSD, I thought it was fantastic and what Linux distros should be.

I also love NomadBSD and MidnightBSD, either one of these would be a great base for the next gen of Windows.

If i were in charge of MS I would follow the path Apple laid out years ago when the based OSX on Darwin.

Comment

Not trillions of dollars, billions yes, but not trillions.

I think the Windows code base is suffering from the same thing projects like Gnome, KDE, and the Linux kernel are, namely lots of legacy cruft.

I've said this before, what i would love to see MS do is start over with a relatively clean code base, start with BSD as the core, use the Lumina desktop, both of these are under the commercially friendly BSD style licenses, layer .NET on top of it, which already works on BSD, layer DX on top of it, and call it a day.

Release two versions, one a legally free version that people can download and install as they desire, this one will have no updates and will not be able to run MS like games or MS Office and a premium or pro version that can run MS games and MS Office.

This version would have product activation and enforce a 1 seat per license model.

I think that would be great for everyone.
              MSFT market cap as of April 18th 2024 : 3.003 Trillion dollars ( = 3003 Billions dollars, 3 003 000 000 000 dollars ).

So yes, I mean it, TRILLIONS with a S of dollars.

PS: your plan makes no sense, why would they start with external opensource code bases, they could simply clean up their own, ditching things from the past without relying on adopting bsd. Same for the UI, they made their own toolkit. What they need is to ditch retro compatibility and crappy bad habits for their next Windows and start clean for real. They all they need for it, it's more a matter of want then can.
              Last edited by rmfx; 18 April 2024, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post
                How does the battery life compare on the 3 different OSs ???
                Good point here ! Although with the years it is getting better under Ubuntu.

Comment

Awesome win vs W11

Comment

It would be interesting to see results on older laptops, mine has been released in 2021 i think, here is the spec

HP Laptop 15-ef2007 (CA version) with Ubuntu Noble Numbat (development branch) with latest updates ... running with Wayland and Gnome 46

AMD Ryzen™ 3 5300U with Radeon™ Graphics × 8

RAM : 8Gb

SSD : 512 Gb

Linux 6.8.0-22

Comment

I loved PC-BSD, I thought it was fantastic and what Linux distros should be.
                      That's what Project Trident was - PC-BSD (later called 'TrueBSD') using a Linux kernel and the Lumina desktop. It is no longer developed, as it didn't catch on with much of anyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X