Archinstall 2.8 Further Refines The Easy Arch Linux Installation Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
    I personally disagree with you promoting malicious commands in an open platform, just because it feels justice to you if someone is dumb and execute a command. But as someone else said, I'm a party pooper and therefore my opinion does not matter.
    You need to learn to ignore people that straight up insult you. If you have an opinion and arguments to back it up there should only be arguments countering it.

I don't see rm as a malicious command, every command that writes to your disk can potentially become harmful. If you copy and paste dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb it might be totally correct on one system but destroys your complete home on another.
    If I write a sign on a bridge telling people it is save to jump down 50 m, would you consider this malicious or people that actually jump to be stupid? If you don't know if humans can survive such a jump, don't do it.

My argument is, people that blindly copy and paste commands from the webs can't be saved, they will always find a way to shoot themself in the foot.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      they will always find a way to shoot themself in the foot.
      And my arguments is to not give those people (who may shoot themselves in the foot) a gun in the hand; where possible. Also I only asked to not post it without any explanation. Don't forget, that we get more and more Linux users who are new and try to learn what this is. And if they are unhappy with a distro and want to uninstall it, they might Google how to do that. And if his reply pops up that says this command uninstalls... you get the idea. Also AI is trained on these comments as well...

Comment

And my arguments is to not give those people (who may shoot themselves in the foot) a gun in the hand; where possible. Also I only asked to not post it without any explanation. Don't forget, that we get more and more Linux users who are new and try to learn what this is. And if they are unhappy with a distro and want to uninstall it, they might Google how to do that. And if his reply pops up that says this command uninstalls... you get the idea. Also AI is trained on these comments as well...
        I understand where you are coming from. It's somewhat the same argument as to censor the whole internet to save our children. But both give a false incentive and make it an easy world for real malicious actors.
        Don't give noobs and children the wrong feeling of security, they will only fail harder once they collide with reality and be easy targets for malicious actors.
        There are better places for this kind of caged communities like the ubuntu forums and those are also much easier to control.

And AI should always be considered wrong. It's most likely already trained on wrong data and it can't decide between wrong and right.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
          It's somewhat the same argument as to censor the whole internet to save our children.
          NO! That should not have been your takeaway from my comments. I did not say delete the comment, just explain what it is, if it has malicious (side-)effects. I say teach instead hide. I think we are running in circles now (and its frustrating from my perspective). Edit: I'm probably in the wrong forum.
          Last edited by byteabit; 16 April 2024, 09:38 AM.

Comment

I did not say delete the comment, just explain what it is
            Ok, I somewhat missed that. Sure if the poster didn't explain it, then you can always chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Check your system them, because I did just that. Several times (till I got it right - not installer's fault, I was just lazy and missing stuff).
              I have been on Arch for 15 years.
              Nothing wrong with any of my systems. ..... and I did attempt to boot on multiple. Others have reported as well.

Comment

Finally tried using it this week, on some laptop I quickly wanted up-and-running, seems pretty sane and works well enough. The boot partition size was one thing I also noticed, 512MB is rather meagre, so good that they changed that.

Comment

Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post

I have been on Arch for 15 years.
                  Nothing wrong with any of my systems. ..... and I did attempt to boot on multiple. Others have reported as well.
                  Well, your experience says it doesn't boot on UEFI, mine says it does. I'll just leave it at that, since there's nothing useful I can add to that.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, your experience says it doesn't boot on UEFI, mine says it does. I'll just leave it at that, since there's nothing useful I can add to that.
                    How good of you.
                    My experience and those of others who have reported.

Comment

Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post
                      My experience and those of others who have reported.
                      https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=292840
                      If you also have an older system from around 2012 those had early UEFI implementations that might be buggy, look for the latest BIOS update.

Comment

Working...
                      X