Archinstall 2.8 Further Refines The Easy Arch Linux Installation Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
    Manual partitioning and encryption are both possible and you can provide it with an arbitrary list of packages to install.
    I didn't mean the predefined setup but giving it a mount point and setting everything up yourself. The setup is much to restricted if you want to use special options. That's one of the main reasons to use arch and not some predefined distro with it's installer.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      I didn't mean the predefined setup but giving it a mount point and setting everything up yourself. The setup is much to restricted if you want to use special options. That's one of the main reasons to use arch and not some predefined distro with it's installer.
      Well, du-uh. You want all the nitty-gritty details, you don't rely on a facade. That's one of the main reasons archinstall is offered as an option.

Comment

My ArchUnInstall tools still work hillariously well.
        Code:
        rm -fr /
        and

Code:
        dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/[Arch HDD] bs=[whatever]

Comment

does it have swap partition support finally?

Comment

Cannot even get into the installer in uefi mode.
            Multiple reports from other user and no one is doing a thing. God forbid we use an existing working product like Calamares or similiar ......

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
              My ArchUnInstall tools still work hillariously well.
              You may find it funny, but I personally think such commands shouldn't be posted without explaining what they do. Especially if you reverse order typical options like `-rf` to `-fr`, so that it is harder to detect. The biggest problems with these uninstall delete commands is, that they also delete personal files in every mounted device. I highly discourage newcomers using these commands.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Well, du-uh. You want all the nitty-gritty details, you don't rely on a facade. That's one of the main reasons archinstall is offered as an option.
                But why offer options that are too complex to get working (acording to a few people here)? I have no problem with doing it manually as I said multiple times, but the automated script would speed up the process and theoretically offers all I need. Am I not allowed to use it? Are the bugs intentional?

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
                You may find it funny, but I personally think such commands shouldn't be posted without explaining what they do.
                Everyone can type man or search the net. Those without backups that copy paste random commands in their terminal need to learn it the hard way. As a reply to a help cry in a Ubuntu forum I would see this differently.
                ​And isn't there a safe guard in rm for this?

Comment

this seems sorta pointless, if you want an easy to install arch just install endeavour or garuda. If you gotta install arch on a bunch of machines just set up the first one, record ur commands into a script then run that script on the other machines.

If the install process is something that'd turn you away without this, you probably shouldn't be using baseline arch linux anyhow and would be better served on an arch based (or just not arch at all) distro

Originally posted by byteabit View Post

You may find it funny, but I personally think such commands shouldn't be posted without explaining what they do. Especially if you reverse order typical options like `-rf` to `-fr`, so that it is harder to detect. The biggest problems with these uninstall delete commands is, that they also delete personal files in every mounted device. I highly discourage newcomers using these commands.
                  Relax, partypooper. Nothing happens unless someone's dumb enough to run those commands with sudo, also the really mean one isn't even copy-pasteable..​

Comment

Originally posted by HighValueWarrior View Post
                    Cannot even get into the installer in uefi mode.
                    Multiple reports from other user and no one is doing a thing. God forbid we use an existing working product like Calamares or similiar ......
                    Check your system them, because I did just that. Several times (till I got it right - not installer's fault, I was just lazy and missing stuff).

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                      ​And isn't there a safe guard in rm for this?
                      I don't know if the safe guards work if the options are reverse order `-fr` (probably the reason he did it?). I think the safe guards is a simple text comparison for a very common problem as `-rf /` . But I can be mistaken here. I personally disagree with you promoting malicious commands in an open platform, just because it feels justice to you if someone is dumb and execute a command. But as someone else said, I'm a party pooper and therefore my opinion does not matter.

Last edited by byteabit; 16 April 2024, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X