Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Linux 40 Beta Cleared For Release Next Week

Phoronix: Fedora Linux 40 Beta Cleared For Release Next Week

After not making its early beta target for 12 March and then failing to make its intended release date of 19 March, Fedora Linux 40 Beta is now cleared for releasing next week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So the ISO they offered Tuesday (Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-40_Beta-1.9.iso) was the beta version of the beta version?

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
      So the ISO they offered Tuesday (Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-40_Beta-1.9.iso) was the beta version of the beta version?
      Kinda. They build release candidates then decide whether to go ahead and publicly release or not based on what blocker bugs there are.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
        It was a *candidate* to be the Beta. In the end, it didn't win. The one that won was Beta-1.10.

Comment

a "beta candidate".

If I want to switch to a fresh install with F40, since I have accumulated more stuff than I can remember in F39, is it ok to upgrade a fresh beta install when the final F40 comes out, or should I do another fresh install at that time?
          Last edited by indepe; 21 March 2024, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post
            a "beta candidate".

If I want to switch to a fresh install with F40, since I have accumulated more stuff than I can remember in F39, is it ok to upgrade a fresh beta install when the final F40 comes out, or should I do another fresh install at that time?
            Updating the beta to final is fine. I did that through about ten fedora versions over 5 years and then decided to have a cleanout and do a fresh install just retaining the home partition. It did get rid of a lot of junk. Lots of packages I had installed but never used. A lot of other stuff seems to accumulate in the system directories over time. Saved a lot of space with the fresh install. Also changed the file system from EXT4 to BTRFS with the fresh install. Had to back up home before the upgrade and then restore.
            Last edited by BillT; 21 March 2024, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post
              a "beta candidate".

yes, totally fine and normal.

Comment

I think we have hit the DPI mark where Terminus will consider scalable fonts. Anyone to ping them?

Comment

I have been using since February (Fedora KDE spin). It works.

Comment

Don't forget "hidden features" like segfaulting Workrave due to being incompatible with Wayland and KDE having only stock plasmoids, because probably majority of them hasn't been ported yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X