Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LibreELEC 12 Beta Moves More Devices To 64-bit - Including The Raspberry Pi 5 & 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreELEC 12 Beta Moves More Devices To 64-bit - Including The Raspberry Pi 5 & 4

Phoronix: LibreELEC 12 Beta Moves More Devices To 64-bit - Including The Raspberry Pi 5 & 4

LibreELEC as the Linux distribution that aims to be just enough of an operating system for bringing up Kodi for HTPC / multimedia needs, the LibreELEC 12 "Omega" Beta 1 release is available today for further improving this media center focused Linux OS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It never ceases to amaze me how flexible ye ol' Linux is.

All these built for purpose device builds is why I like it. Tinkers toolbox. HTPC front ends, file/build server backends, routers in between, Chimaera/Lakka for a game sesh, all for as much as you fancy donating for.

Well, back to work 🤠
    Hi

Comment

That's a Linux distro with a solid purpose I've seen in a while

Comment

"Just enough", but that happens to include systemd. . . .

Comment

Originally posted by 8-bit memories View Post
          Is (not was) Open/LibreElec based on another OS? A quick search didn't find anything, but I assume it's some sort of generic distro. That include's systemd as you say.
          Hi

Comment

There is no slimmer and faster modern init. All those classic init wrapped in layers upon layers of shell scripts to emulate the basics of what a modern init system can do simply are fatter in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

Is (not was) Open/LibreElec based on another OS? A quick search didn't find anything, but I assume it's some sort of generic distro. That include's systemd as you say.
              LE (and OE before it) are created using "linuxfromscratch" principles and are not derivative or scaled down from any other distro. OE originally used systemv init but switched to systemd to simplify overall maintenance of the distro. It's technically possible to rip that out and do something even more minimal* but there's a balance to be struck between absolute minimalism and what users regard as minimum functional product.

* the record is OS + Kodi + Tvheadend + pvr.hts and screensaver Kodi add-ons = in a 38MB image; making our standard RPi image (around 130MB) look rather bloated
              Last edited by chewitt; 18 March 2024, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I tried LibreElec in 2023 again. I had some problems https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/23...er-containers/

I switched to Raspberry Pi OS (Debian) + Kodi. I don't remember if I had to set anything besides /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart

Kodi / Spotify / Plex / Pi-hole has been working flawlessly for almost a year. I can't say the same for the Pi4 hardware which idles at 68.6'C with aluminum heatsinks.

I'm glad to see LibreElec support for more devices. I would try it out again in a few years, maybe on devices that use less power than the pi4 and pi5.

PS: I didn't have any issues with h265 playback in Debian or LibreElec.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

There is no slimmer and faster modern init. All those classic init wrapped in layers upon layers of shell scripts to emulate the basics of what a modern init system can do simply are fatter in the end.
                  "Slimmer"?

systemd is overkill. If it had confined itself to starting and stopping services, it might be okay. Instead it suffers a fatal case of Not Invented Here.

Comment

"Slimmer"?

systemd is overkill. If it had confined itself to starting and stopping services, it might be okay. Instead it suffers a fatal case of Not Invented Here.
                    For something like LE it actually doesn't matter. If it makes LE easier to build + maintain, why not? I don't believe it makes any difference RAM and CPU-time wise. Almost nobody is ever going to have to interact with systemd on LE. Possibly to setup NFS and whatever autofs replacement they "invented", but that's once, no big deal.

The problem with systemd is everywhere else, when you have to work on the machine and trip on the bloody thing in every possible corner and it's *never* a pleasant experience.

btw: I have OSMC on a rpi and haven't had to do any maintenance on it for I don't even remember how long. I don't even know what init system it has (probably systemd, don't care).
                    Last edited by rrveex; 18 March 2024, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X