No announcement yet.

Fedora Workstation 41 To No Longer Install GNOME X.Org Session By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, so you have it set to ~128 dpi which only scales fonts and not UI elements? Which is equivalent to setting a font scale factor i e.g. GNOME of 1.33.

Setting a compositor display scale factor of 1.33 causes everything to scale proportionally (both text and UI elements) so your Wayfire setting is AFAIK equivalent to setting a xrandr scale of 0.75x0.75 in Xorg which also results in blur.

Comment

• Originally posted by access View Post
      Ah, so you have it set to ~128 dpi which only scales fonts and not UI elements? Which is equivalent to setting a font scale factor i e.g. GNOME of 1.33.

Setting a compositor display scale factor of 1.33 causes everything to scale proportionally (both text and UI elements) so your Wayfire setting is AFAIK equivalent to setting a xrandr scale of 0.75x0.75 in Xorg which also results in blur.
      AFAIK fractional scaling in Wayland was meant to be "perfect". Wayland has a protocol to notify apps to scale their output appropriately, so nothing should be blurry per se.

Comment

• Yes, and that's how it work. Vector content can be rendered perfectly but there is no way to output bitmap content perfectly at fractional scales unless there are assets available for that scale. A terminal emulator using bitmap fonts where the font size is set to 10 pt could choose to render the same font using the 15 pt glyphs if the output scale is set to 1.5 which would be pixel perfect but at 1.33 scale there would either need to be a 13.3 font asset or choose the nearest font (and accept that the layout changes) or there need to be some interpolation (nn, linear, whatever).

Comment

Yes, and that's how it work. Vector content can be rendered perfectly but there is no way to output bitmap content perfectly at fractional scales unless there are assets available for that scale. A terminal emulator using bitmap fonts where the font size is set to 10 pt could choose to render the same font using the 15 pt glyphs if the output scale is set to 1.5 which would be pixel perfect but at 1.33 scale there would either need to be a 13.3 font asset or choose the nearest font (and accept that the layout changes) or there need to be some interpolation (nn, linear, whatever).
          There's nothing stopping Wayland based terminal emulators from ignoring scaling settings and using the exact size of the bitmap font requested. None. Nil. Nada. Zilch.

It is broken now and I don't care how and why. As a user I shouldn't even know why it's broken. I don't have this issue in Windows or Xorg.

Comment

• I showed a screenshot that XFCE (X11) and GNOME (Wayland) achieves the exact same thing if you change the same setting; that is font scaling and not display scaling. If you change different things you get different results. Your Wayfire scaling setting is more like setting output scaling using xrandr under X11/Xorg which will look blurry.

Comment

• You continue to vindicate the issue as if either "Wayland is OK" or I'm a stupid idiot for "misuising Wayland".

Fractional scaling is an official feature which does not come with asterisks. The user working with Linux couldn't care less about what drives his session. He gets visually broken output. Period. Your rhetoric is completely orthogonal. The user after seeing this literal shit will likely believe that Linux is broken (and they are not entirely wrong) and will return to Windows or Xorg. The fact that you're trying to explain this to me despite me having a deep knowledge of the topic looks ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by avis View Post
                and will return to Windows
                No chance, windows is depreciated not just by google, but also microsoft themselves

What I think you are missing is, this is just Redhat intentionally breaking stuff so they can try and justify to those convinced by ad-populum arguments charging smth like $200 per CPU core to fix it.

Everyone else will not be leaving X11 in the first place, and just carry on getting shit done.
                Last edited by mSparks; 11 March 2024, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Well... I better head over to beautiful Windows then and set display scaling to 125% and enjoy my PSh Terminus 12pt session

Comment

Well... I better head over to beautiful Windows
                    Please do, just because windows is depreciated and no good for developers earning 6 and 7 figure salaries definately should not stop you, or anyone else from using it.
                    I hear sub 6 figure salaries are very popular.

Last edited by mSparks; 11 March 2024, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Well... I better head over to beautiful Windows then and set display scaling to 125% and enjoy my PSh Terminus 12pt session

https://i.imgur.com/564pxl3.png
                      Exactly, rather than here wasting your time

Comment

Working...
                      X