• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good choice, another step closer for "Wayland is the future"

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
      Freed space 4.1MB, LMAO.
      That's not a lot in itself, but what if you exclude the components that depend on xorg? Those will probably be removed if there's no way to get them to run without xorg either right? At least from an outsider perspective that would make sense since installing apps that have xorg as a dependency would be problematic if xorg isn't shipped.

Comment

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal and extremely popular among Linux fans.

Guess what, I cannot run my XFCE session under Wayland. You've got no crashes but I have no Wayland at all.

And you must love this tidbit from https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap :

Amazing progress! Fragmentation! (In-) Completeness! (Missing) Features! XFCE doesn't even pretend they will support HDR or VRR any time soon.

I fucking hate Wayland. Not the protocol, I hate how it merges the display server and the window manager and doesn't provide a common featureful core/feature set for all its users. Maybe in 20 years from now, all Wayland compositors will have all the features now available in KWin ... doubt! LMAO. What a shitshow.
        You're going to admonish someone for using anecdotal evidence when you used anecdotal evidence three posts above lol??

Your anecdotal evidence: "Xorg hasn't crashed on me on any of my systems (Intel/AMD/NVIDIA) in over 10 years now."

Comment

You started with ad hominem which already invalidated your message.

Secondly, currently ~95% of Wayland compositors do not support VRR/HDR and many Wayland compositors don't yet implement fractional scaling. It's 2024 now, 15 years since Wayland has been devised. And I'm "the troll".

And here's something funny. You cannot use bitmap fonts together with fractional scaling in Wayland because such fonts will look blurry as hell. So much for Wayland being "forward-looking". A real use case. No such issue under Xorg. And again, I'm "the troll".

Go insult me again, that will instantly make your messages look solid and trust worthy.
          This is a strange objection of yours. Of course bitmaps will look blurry when being scaled. But due to the underlying principles of bitmaps this happens everywhere nevertheless. Blurriness doesn't happen with more modern formats like vector based SVGs.

Comment

So yep, the maintainership offer's completely turned down. That's how forum reputation is gained in reverse I think.

Comment

It's weird, in Windows/MacOS/iOS/Android the display server is separate from the WM but Wayland thinks differently.
              Wayland thinks nothing. It's a protocol. And literally nothing in that protocol enforces this or makes it easier. It's ultimately the implementer's choice.

Comment

Very embracing a leaner future. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Comment

I fucking hate Wayland. Not the protocol, I hate how it merges the display server and the window manager and doesn't provide a common featureful core/feature set for all its users. Maybe in 20 years from now, all Wayland compositors will have all the features now available in KWin ... doubt! LMAO. What a shitshow.
                  Sure if we were talking web servers instead of display servers, you hate how apache/nginx/caddy/etc. merged in QUIC support and don't provide a common core set for all their users.

​​​​​​​The fact HTTP servers decided to reimplement QUIC from scratch is obviously QUIC's fault. After all, it was better in 1989 when there was no "protocol" nonsense and the only way to get HTTP out there was to use CERN HTTPD (or Netsite). Because then all you had to do was following the CERN HTTPD prot--- I mean interf--- I mean put the right bits in the right place to make it work on that one server.

In short, you must also hate QUIC a lot... not the protocol mind you but QUIC.

Comment

Now the only thing that remains is bcachefs support. With RH's Stratis/XFS aspirations, I wonder if that'll ever happen tho.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                      Now the only thing that remains is bcachefs support. With RH's Stratis/XFS aspirations, I wonder if that'll ever happen tho.
                      One of the Bcachefs maintainers is from Red Hat, so that seems likely and XFS developers have encouraged other filesystems to adopt their testsuites and provided feedback and even Btrfs maintainers encouraged Bcachefs developers to upstream it earlier so they could tackle common problems together. Large companies and large upstream projects can and do have competing goals (perhaps one for short term, another for long term) at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                      X