No announcement yet.

Microsoft Rebranding CBL-Mariner Linux Distribution To "Azure Linux"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did the figure out how to get the darn foot out of Gnome? because that damn thing is like stuck. http://www.mslinux.org/

Comment

Originally posted by M.Bahr View Post
      Just in case a few delusional, naive and brainwashed people show up again claiming that this was just the beginning and that Windows would soon switch to a Linux Distro like debian or arch or fedora etc. You should learn that corporation's history and criticism first to get a sober view on this topic. This is extremely unlikely to happen. And even if Microsoft would switch to linux, why would they give up on DirectX, win32 and other proprietary code. Why should they stop anti-competitive aggressions like with their browser when moving to Linux? They simply can move all their vendor-lock-in stuff to Linux and keep them going there to uphold their monopoly. In fact they already try to change the linux kernel for DirectX. Read about "DXGKRNL​".
      No one asked + L + ratio + missed the joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post

You can't trademark a letter (trust me, Apple tried). Just because people claim a letter stands for a word doesn't mean that's going to be a legal issue.
        I'm not saying they tried to trademark a letter. I'm saying that they were already using Linux in their product name by way of the acronym CBL. CBL stands for Common Base Linux. Moreover, they also have WSL, Windows Subsystem for Linux. Using Linux in a product name requires permission, a sublicense, and that Microsoft already has it.

Examples of Use Requiring A Sublicense.

If you plan to market a Linux-based product or service to the public using a trademark that includes the element “Linux,” such as “Super Dooper Linux OS” or “Real Time Linux Consultants” you are required to apply for and obtain a sublicense from the Linux Foundation. This is true whether or not you apply to register your trademark with a government.

There's no difference between RHEL, CBL, SLED, and WSL in this context. L means Linux and it's in a product name so a sublicense is necessary.

Comment

CBL mariner was indeed a horrible name.

Comment

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".

Personally, I don't care what marketing (re)names a product to, but I understand it matters a lot to marketing.

Comment

And even if Microsoft would switch to linux, why would they give up on DirectX, win32 and other proprietary code.
              There is no value left in them, windows desktop does not make money anymore, especially at the rate PC sales are shrinking

Better to open source them and get naive school kids to maintain them for free betting on a job offer.

Eventually windows will become just another nix/OSS distro, they already effectively abandoned desktop OS development a few years back, by the time this round of layoffs have finished if there isnt already there will probably be less people developing desktop windows than there are different wayland compositors.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I'm not saying they tried to trademark a letter. I'm saying that they were already using Linux in their product name by way of the acronym CBL. CBL stands for Common Base Linux. Moreover, they also have WSL, Windows Subsystem for Linux. Using Linux in a product name requires permission, a sublicense, and that Microsoft already has it.

There's no difference between RHEL, CBL, SLED, and WSL in this context. L means Linux and it's in a product name so a sublicense is necessary.
                I figured. I didn't say it was for a good reason, more implying it was corporate beurocracy, like "yeah we don't want to give you permission to call it Linux right this moment, just name it something else until the legal and marketing department clears it."

Comment

Originally posted by NathanG View Post

Isn't that the point of the cloud, to lock you into an increasingly expensive contract?
                  Apparently, this is cheaper and more reliable than being dependent on people who promise they can do it cheaper with their knowledge and skills, but are unable to keep those promises.

Comment

So here we are IBM vs Microsoft once again.

In this corner Big Blue is putting up Big Red with RHEL, and in the other corner Microsoft is bringing out its young and inexperienced contender, Azure Linux.

Now lets see, next we should look for....naming of products based on Pacific Northwest native tribes ,just like Red Hat calls Kubernetes "Open Shift".

Azure Salish (rename for Kubernetes)
                    Azure Makah (rename for Apache)

If we are going to copy where everyone else is, by all means go whole hog

Comment

Just in case a few delusional, naive and brainwashed people show up again claiming that this was just the beginning and that Windows would soon switch to a Linux Distro like debian or arch or fedora etc. You should learn that corporation's history and criticism first to get a sober view on this topic. This is extremely unlikely to happen. And even if Microsoft would switch to linux, why would they give up on DirectX, win32 and other proprietary code. Why should they stop anti-competitive aggressions like with their browser when moving to Linux? They simply can move all their vendor-lock-in stuff to Linux and keep them going there to uphold their monopoly. In fact they already try to change the linux kernel for DirectX. Read about "DXGKRNL​".
                      They aren't switching to Debian. Fedora is RH, so a competitor, again no.

Microsoft uses a fuckton of Linux internally. Eventually Windows will be a runtime ontop of Linux. Why? Because it runs better, has a fuckton of more contributors, and because its a collective effort, more contributors. Many of them today at top companies like IBM, Intel, NVIDIA, and AMD. I think every large computer company has a linux team. Dell also supports Ubuntu, and mainstreams the HW for Dell computers. Dell Servers and Linux have been a mainstay of datacenter work for at least 20 years.

But they aren't going to give up WIN32/DX. They will have their own runtime/drivers that will only be supporting on Windows/Azure Linux. It might be possible to run them on Arch, but no support. Let someone else do all the heavy lifting. After all, Edge is now based on Chromium, because why not? Its not like they where making money on selling a web browser.

There will be long term, predictable support, and no, their sales aren't going anywhere. The money is in support and contracts, and its far cheaper to maintain a runtime, with a stable API/ABI, and perhaps proprietary drivers that do DX, than a full OS.

Mark my words, Windows will eventually be based on CBL-Mariner/Azure Linux, with a proprietary runtime ontop of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X