Microsoft Rebranding CBL-Mariner Linux Distribution To "Azure Linux"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Rebranding CBL-Mariner Linux Distribution To "Azure Linux"

Phoronix: Microsoft Rebranding CBL-Mariner Linux Distribution To "Azure Linux"

Microsoft's in-house Linux distribution used for a variety of purposes had been known as CBL-Mariner for "Common Base Linux" while now it appears to be in the process of transitioning to Azure Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

About time. Is there anyone who did not see this coming?

Comment

I am having a hard time imagining who would sign up to use this except if you decided to completely lock yourself into Azure for the next 10+ years at a big company.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
        I am having a hard time imagining who would sign up to use this except if you decided to completely lock yourself into Azure for the next 10+ years at a big company.
        Its horrifying how many big companies who employ people who should know better, do exactly what you said...

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

Its horrifying how many big companies who employ people who should know better, do exactly what you said...
          Isn't that the point of the cloud, to lock you into an increasingly expensive contract?

Comment

I'm guessing the team maintaining CBL didn't get the OK from the legal department to use "Linux" since it's a trademark, so they just called it an awkward internal name. Then the marketing guys were looking for something to do and saw this thing had a stupid name and fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
              I'm guessing the team maintaining CBL didn't get the OK from the legal department to use "Linux" since it's a trademark, so they just called it an awkward internal name. Then the marketing guys were looking for something to do and saw this thing had a stupid name and fixed it.
              The L in CBL means Linux. Hiding Linux in an acronym doesn't change that they were using the Linux trademark already

This just gives it much better name that's more in line with their other offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The L in CBL means Linux. Hiding Linux in an acronym doesn't change that they were using the Linux trademark already

This just gives it much better name that's more in line with their other offerings.
                You can't trademark a letter (trust me, Apple tried). Just because people claim a letter stands for a word doesn't mean that's going to be a legal issue.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                  I work for a company I had hoped was smarter than this but nope!

Comment

Just in case a few delusional, naive and brainwashed people show up again claiming that this was just the beginning and that Windows would soon BECOME a Linux Distro like debian or arch or fedora etc. You should learn that corporation's history and criticism first to get a sober view on this topic. This is extremely unlikely to happen. And even if Microsoft would switch to linux, why would they give up on DirectX, win32 and other proprietary code. Why should they stop anti-competitive aggressions like with their browser when moving to Linux? They simply can move all their vendor-lock-in stuff to Linux and keep them going there to uphold their monopoly. In fact they already try to change the linux kernel for DirectX. Read about "DXGKRNL​".
                    Last edited by M.Bahr; 06 March 2024, 05:16 AM. Reason: I replaced "switch to" with "become". This is what i mean.

Comment

Working...
                    X