Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CentOS Stream ISA Optimized Packages Show Great Results On Intel Xeon Emerald Rapids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CentOS Stream ISA Optimized Packages Show Great Results On Intel Xeon Emerald Rapids

Phoronix: CentOS Stream ISA Optimized Packages Show Great Results On Intel Xeon Emerald Rapids

As part of Red Hat evaluating x86-64-v3 for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 10, there is the CentOS ISA SIG that's been experimenting with ISA Optimized builds for the x86-64-v3 target. Via the CentOS ISA SIG there is the easy ability to transition an existing CentOS Stream 9 system/server over to using the x86_64-v3 optimized packages. In this article are some benchmarks on a modern Intel Xeon Scalable "Emerald Rapids" server showing the performance benefits when the entire Linux server OS is recompiled for x86_64-v3.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Strange how we see much more improvement while it should be less (v2 to v3) compared to https://www.phoronix.com/review/cachyos-x86-64-v3-v4 with v1 to v4, is it just the different selection of programs?

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      Strange how we see much more improvement while it should be less (v2 to v3) compared to https://www.phoronix.com/review/cachyos-x86-64-v3-v4 with v1 to v4, is it just the different selection of programs?
      CachyOS builds packages with -O3 optimizations while CentOS uses -O2. There's an old anecdote that you should stick to -O2 because -O2 produces optimized code while -O3 produces optimized bloated code. CachyOS and CentOS are doing things different enough that it's hard to make a 1:1 comparison here.

We need some -O3 CentOS builds and -O2 CachyOS builds to really jump to some conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        CachyOS builds packages with -O3 optimizations while CentOS uses -O2.
        I doubt that's the reason, typical difference (if any) between O2 and O3 is 1 to 3 percent. You can look up some old benches from phoronix.

Edit, found it: https://www.phoronix.com/review/gcc11-rocket-opts

Comment

I doubt that's the reason, typical difference (if any) between O2 and O3 is 1 to 3 percent. You can look up some old benches from phoronix.

Edit, found it: https://www.phoronix.com/review/gcc11-rocket-opts
          whoa, a comment with evidence? y'know we don't do that here

Comment

Michael

Please show results as percentages as well. It;s really hard to read these graphs and insane numbers. E.g. 100% and 102% would be so much easier to comprehend.

Comment

It does depend, which package gets tested. Not every package does behave equal and it seems there was a complete different suite tested.
              Has nothing to do with -O3.

Edit: Also how they are build, if packages are statically or dynamically build and co.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                Michael
                Please show results as percentages as well. It;s really hard to read these graphs and insane numbers. E.g. 100% and 102% would be so much easier to comprehend.
                I have a little "trick" just look at the first 2 numbers. First bench for example 90 vs 91, roughly 1% diff. But I agree that some percentage based indicator would be nice on more complex benchmarks.

Comment

So just to be clear, this is testing a baseline compiled software stack against a x86_64-v3 optimized software stack, where the former consists of the OS and packages compiled using baseline settings and the latter consists of the OS and packages compiled using x86_64-v3 settings.

Here's what Red Hat has to say:

The x86-64-v3 x86-64 microarchitecture level primarily benefits numerical applications (for data science, for example) which do not include specialized implementations for modern CPU microarchitectures.
                  In a nutshell, it requires the software developers to either be lazy or incompetent.

Further the tested system, dual Xeon Platinum 8592+, has two FMA AVX-512 units per processor, so a total of four SIMD units for this setup. In comparison my i5-1035G1 ​only has 1 SIMD unit capable of SSE/AVX/AVX2/AVX-512.

I can't help but feel that if one was to run these "optimized" builds on a system like mine, they would see a performance decrease on benchmarks that should be able to benefit from AVX/2/512 because you now have multiple programs competing for limited resources, programs that have no business using AVX extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post

It does depend, which package gets tested. Not every package does behave equal and it seems there was a complete different suite tested.
                    Has nothing to do with -O3.

Edit: Also how they are build, if packages are statically or dynamically build and co.
                    I did some mor digging, Michaels AVX512 benchmarks show 100% improvement on Zen4 for ospray while CachyOS is actually slower with AVX512. And if you look at total numbers: https://www.phoronix.com/review/amd-...per-pro-7995wx I get the feeling that either Michaels test had an error or CachyOS v4 doesn't use any AVX.

Comment

Working...
                    X