Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Won't Support JPEG-XL Out-Of-The-Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    Just one more company taking Google's word as law. God forbid anybody include JPEG-XL by default. "You can just install it!" yeah, and you can install an extension that adds support for it to Chrome, but that doesn't mean anybody is going to use it because it's not default.

Never underestimate the power of defaults. And never underestimate how far Google is willing to go to push down JPEG-XL so that they can keep getting royalty money from licensing WebP/VP9 to hardware manufacturers.
    Here we have a nice rampant conspiracy theory. No, Google had no say in Ubuntu not using or offering JXL by default. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Here we have a nice rampant conspiracy theory. No, Google had no say in Ubuntu not using or offering JXL by default. Zero. Zilch. Nada.
      Google didn't call Canonical up and tell them not to do it, but you'd be an idiot to not assume that Ubuntu would be including JPEG-XL support by default if Google didn't force it out of both Chromium and Firefox. Google essentially has decided the fate of JPEG-XL for every other tech company in the world by not including it in Chromium.

People don't realize how much power Google actually has with it's monopoly on people's gateway to the internet.

Comment

Google didn't call Canonical up and tell them not to do it, but you'd be an idiot to not assume that Ubuntu would be including JPEG-XL support by default if Google didn't force it out of both Chromium and Firefox. Google essentially has decided the fate of JPEG-XL for every other tech company in the world by not including it in Chromium.

People don't realize how much power Google actually has with it's monopoly on people's gateway to the internet.
        Ubuntu is not Linux.

Ubuntu is not even the most popular Linux distro.

JXL (support) is still perfectly installable and available.

What's the whole ordeal/fuss about exactly? Why do you desperately want to hate someone?

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Ubuntu is not Linux.

Ubuntu is not even the most popular Linux distro.

JXL (support) is still perfectly installable and available.

What's the whole ordeal/fuss about exactly? Why do you desperately want to hate someone?
          Wow. It's like you skipped over my entire comment. Amazing reading comprehension.

Comment

Wow. It's like you skipped over my entire comment. Amazing reading comprehension.
            I've actually read it and haven't found anything worthy. Your first comment was a wild speculation, this comment is even worse in that regard because it's actually false. At least the first one was kinda amusing in being preposterous.

If Google actually wanted Ubuntu to stop supporting JPEG-XL, they would have asked Ubuntu to stop offering any and all libraries and applications supporting JXL which is not the case. Logic and common sense are totally lost on you. Ubuntu would have built Firefox without JXL, but it's still there as a hidden option (image.jxl.enabled).

Why is it people who join minor isolated special groups (e.g. Linux fans) instantly start creating mythology and enemies in the outside world? Or maybe it's the other way around. There are people willing to believe in fringe theories and they join such communities. That makes total sense.

Enemies of Linux! Enemies of Open Source! Enemies of patent-free stuff! Enemies of free audio/image/video codecs! Enemies everywhere!
            Last edited by avis; 01 March 2024, 02:36 PM.

Comment

never underestimate how far Google is willing to go to push down JPEG-XL so that they can keep getting royalty money from licensing WebP/VP9 to hardware manufacturers.
              Both formats are open and royalty free.

Comment

I don't think we'll see JPEG-XL enabled camera in foreseeable future. Cameras use H264/H265 and HEIF. I haven't seen anything using AV1 or VP9. Hardware VP9 encoders are not very popular and AV1 is not very good for live high quality high bitrate footage. It would be good on cheap smartphone but not on full frame camera.

As for JPEG-XL it's still in infancy. AdobeRGB (very popular in photography and supported by all higher quality cameras) support was vastly improved in recent 0.10 release (it was plain broken before), but I don't know whether it's as good as P3 or Rec2020 (in previous releases, these were favored for reasons unknown to me, as they are more appropriate for video ).
                If reference encoder is still not 100% finished, how can we get one in hardware?

Also, even bleeding edge linux software has problems with this format. gThumb is not able to show exif or enable color management on vardct images. It doesn't show any ICC profile. Current GIMP is not able to read AdobeRGB JXL (created by 0.10) either (again, no color management, colors are off)

It would take years to develop JXL capable camera, by that time HEIF will dominate the market.
                Last edited by sobrus; 01 March 2024, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sobrus View Post
                  I don't think we'll see JPEG-XL enabled camera in foreseeable future. Cameras use H264/H265 and HEIF. I haven't seen anything using AV1 or VP9. Hardware VP9 encoders are not very popular and AV1 is not very good for live high quality high bitrate footage. It would be good on cheap smartphone but not on full frame camera.

As for JPEG-XL it's still in infancy. AdobeRGB (very popular in photography and supported by all higher quality cameras) support was vastly improved in recent 0.10 release (it was plain broken before), but I don't know whether it's as good as P3 or Rec2020. If reference encoder is still not 100% finished, how can we get one in hardware?

Also, even bleeding edge linux software has problems with this format. gThumb is not able to show exif or enable color management on vardct images. It doesn't show any ICC profile. Current GIMP is not able to read AdobeRGB JXL (created by 0.10) either (again, no color management)

It would take years to develop JXL capable camera, by that time HEIF will dominate the market.
                  I have more faith in AVIF or VVC based image codec than JXL. AV1 (so far only in Google Pixel 8) and VVC already have IP cores and so far we've had nothing for JXL.

No smartphone will ever support JXL officially out of the box unless it's hardware accelerated both ways, encode and decode.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
                    What's about Heic images? They are more and more common not only on iphones
                    In Windows it forced me something paid, but I found how to do it and have free support. In Linux, it open the image file instantly. (Ubuntu, Mint, ...)​

Comment

Incredible, WebP is a colossal turd getting soundly beat by good old jpeg: https://cloudinary.com/blog/jpeg-xl-...nt#aggregation
                      Of course that turd is supported in Chrome, while Jpeg-XL is not.

Comment

Working...
                      X