Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Won't Support JPEG-XL Out-Of-The-Box

Phoronix: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Won't Support JPEG-XL Out-Of-The-Box

There had been some hope that the Ubuntu 24.04 desktop would support the JPEG-XL image format out-of-the-box, but that isn't going to happen as a default change...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And I won't support Ubuntu by installing it on any of my boxes...

Seriously, it is a codec for a raster image format. Nothing more, nothing less. It exists for some years now and is not hard to compile. But still are some entities acting like it being a great burden to support this.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post
      And I won't support Ubuntu by installing it on any of my boxes...
      Support as in are you a commercial customer or just downloading a free distro? If it is the latter, not sure why Canonical would care about you.

Comment

Michael really could have mentioned the spectacular JXL 0.10 release: https://cloudinary.com/blog/jpeg-xl-...e-pareto-front

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

Support as in are you a commercial customer or just downloading a free distro? If it is the latter, not sure why Canonical would care about you.
          I am fully aware that they do not care about me.

Comment

Seriously, it is a codec for a raster image format. Nothing more, nothing less. It exists for some years now and is not hard to compile.
            They build it and package it, It's just not pre-installed. Not a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post

They build it and package it, It's just not pre-installed. Not a big deal.
              If it is not a big deal, why this article?

Comment

Engagement! Reposts! Ad views!

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                  Michael really could have mentioned the spectacular JXL 0.10 release: https://cloudinary.com/blog/jpeg-xl-...e-pareto-front
                  Thank you for the benchmark link. Love me some benchmarks.

I take only minor issue with this:
                  Not shown on the chart is QOI, which clocked in at 154 Mpx/s to achieve 17 bpp, which may be “quite OK” but is quite far from Pareto-optimal, considering the lowest effort setting of libjxl compresses down to 11.5 bpp at 427 Mpx/s (so it is 2.7 times as fast and the result is 32.5% smaller).​
                  First off qoi isn't multithreaded and they're comparing it to libjxl running 8 threads. Second the default qoi encoding isn't an optimal use of the code space, it didn't take much pissing about for me to create a qoi-like that's more space efficient some time ago at no time cost (quicker even when I/O is involved IIRC). If I can be arsed I'll try some benchmarks later.

Comment

I think he meant (just my interpretation), it's not a big deal to support the image format in Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                    X