Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Won't Support JPEG-XL Out-Of-The-Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post
    And I won't support Ubuntu by installing it on any of my boxes...
    Seriously, it is a codec for a raster image format. Nothing more, nothing less. It exists for some years now and is not hard to compile. But still are some entities acting like it being a great burden to support this.
    If you would also read the article, instead of just the title , you would have noticed that while it didn't make it into the default installation, they indeed will compile it for Universe, meaning that it will be a measly apt install away, like the other hundreds of programs and libraries that are not included in the default image but still available after installation.

Comment

Originally posted by ireri View Post

If you would also read the article, instead of just the title , you would have noticed that while it didn't make it into the default installation, they indeed will compile it for Universe, meaning that it will be a measly apt install away, like the other hundreds of programs and libraries that are not included in the default image but still available after installation.
      Sorry, but I am far too impulsive for such a behavior.

Comment

What's about Heic images? They are more and more common not only on iphones

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post

They build it and package it, It's just not pre-installed. Not a big deal.
          And the big hurdle isn't even Ubuntu, it's Google and Mozilla. If they don't support it with their web browsers then nobody else will have much of an incentive to use it either.

I wish Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony, or (lol) Pentax would create a camera with JPEG-XL support. It'd be a real game changer with digital photography and digital cameras adopting the format would really pressure everyone else into adopting it.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
            From Wikipedia:

HEIF itself is a container that may not be subject to additional royalty fees for commercial ISOBMFF licensees. Note however that Nokia also grants its patents on a royalty-free basis for non-commercial purposes. When containing images and image sequences encoded in a particular format (e.g. HEVC or AVC) its use becomes subject to the licensing of patents on the coding format​
            Licensing fees for commercial use.

JPEG-XL is royalty free and open for business. It covers lossless, animated images, and compressed images in multitudes of colorspaces and bit depths. Being able to take some burst shots and the camera turning them into JPEG-XL animations would be so damn cool.

Comment

Originally posted by szymon_g View Post
              ffmpeg next (likely 7.0) supports them but I'm 99% at least Fedora will strip this part from ffmpeg RPMFusion won't.

Not sure about other distros.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

From Wikipedia:

Licensing fees for commercial use.

JPEG-XL is royalty free and open for business. It covers lossless, animated images, and compressed images in multitudes of colorspaces and bit depths. Being able to take some burst shots and the camera turning them into JPEG-XL animations would be so damn cool.
                Oh, darn, a ton of phones, mine included produce HEIC images instead of JPEGs because this format is a lot more efficient though not as efficient as AVIF or JPEGXL but these two are quite expensive to implement. It's actually quite a relevant concern. I always struggle opening them on my Fedora.

Oh, and HEIC supports 10/12bit/HDR. JPEG doesn't and "HDR" for JPEG is a fucking joke, I mean a lie.

Comment

No surprise Google spearheaded the move to sideline jpeg-xl. They want to shove web pee down everyone's throats.

Comment

It's Linux! If you need jepg-xl support just compile and install. this is a nothing burger.

Comment

Just one more company taking Google's word as law. God forbid anybody include JPEG-XL by default. "You can just install it!" yeah, and you can install an extension that adds support for it to Chrome, but that doesn't mean anybody is going to use it because it's not default.

Never underestimate the power of defaults. And never underestimate how far Google is willing to go to push down JPEG-XL so that they can keep getting royalty money from licensing WebP/VP9 to hardware manufacturers.

Comment

Working...
                      X