Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally making an account for this...
    Originally posted by Artim View Post
    Of course this is utter BS, Rust is for people lacking proper knowledge. But if you actually know your C/C++ there's no real reason not to just keep using what you know best. Of course besides just buzzwording.
    I don't think this argument -- that a language is worse because it helps developers -- holds much water. Picture, for example, a woodworker who insists on using his bent up saw when he can use one with nice new handles...
    My woodworker analogies should usually be taken with a grain of salt but I think the truth of it is that every programming language is a tool. Some are higher level, some are slower, some promise memory safety, some are built from others. Each is different but none of them are absolutely "superior". For example, high level languages like python or even block coding are used everywhere by all sorts of programmers (AI or drag'n'drop shaders in game engines, respectively), and just because they are often good introductions to programming concepts, does not make them any less useful, just good for different uses.

I think rust lies at a nice intersection between high-level thought and low-level control, and that these two virtues have spawned a welcoming and diverse ecosystem. Dismissing this as a collection of "buzzwords" seems a bit... shortsighted?
    I like rust because it helps me focus less on the intricacies of the interactions between memory regions, and more doing useful things, like wasm! In the end it comes down to personal preference and the age old adage: "pick the right tool for the job"

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post

Blazingly 🔥 fast 🚀 memory vulnerabilities, written in 100% safe Rust. 🦀
      Blazingly 🔥 fast 🚀 memory vulnerabilities, written in 100% safe Rust. 🦀 - Speykious/cve-rs

Miri is too strong. Even without any unsafe blocks, it detects problems. Miri defeats our tests cve on  main is 📦 v0.1.0 via 🦀 v1.76.0 ❯ cargo +nightly miri test Preparing a sysroot for Miri (targ...

Comment

Originally posted by linuxislife View Post
        Finally making an account for this...

I don't think this argument -- that a language is worse because it helps developers -- holds much water. Picture, for example, a woodworker who insists on using his bent up saw when he can use one with nice new handles...
        My woodworker analogies should usually be taken with a grain of salt but I think the truth of it is that every programming language is a tool. Some are higher level, some are slower, some promise memory safety, some are built from others. Each is different but none of them are absolutely "superior". For example, high level languages like python or even block coding are used everywhere by all sorts of programmers (AI or drag'n'drop shaders in game engines, respectively), and just because they are often good introductions to programming concepts, does not make them any less useful, just good for different uses.

I think rust lies at a nice intersection between high-level thought and low-level control, and that these two virtues have spawned a welcoming and diverse ecosystem. Dismissing this as a collection of "buzzwords" seems a bit... shortsighted?
        I like rust because it helps me focus less on the intricacies of the interactions between memory regions, and more doing useful things, like wasm! In the end it comes down to personal preference and the age old adage: "pick the right tool for the job"
        Well., maybe next time you might want to read what I quoted too...

Comment

Originally posted by darkonix View Post

Since there are so many memory vulnerabilities reported all the time it follows that most programmers don't actually know C/C++, so it is useful for most programmers to use Rust. Interesting.
          Still, no reason to demand all C/C++ project ever created shall be rewritten in Rust. There's more than enough stuff out there where the programming language is just as irrelevant as any memory vulnerabilities. Having vulnerabilities doesn't mean that they can actually be abused. Otherwise, you'd read about browsers being abused on a daily basis to infect computers through 1-click-/0-click-exploits. Not a single one is written solely in memory safe languages.

Comment

micro kernel was a nice joke. I'm still laughing ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE7CiIBgYBQ

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Still, no reason to demand all C/C++ project ever created shall be rewritten in Rust. There's more than enough stuff out there where the programming language is just as irrelevant as any memory vulnerabilities. Having vulnerabilities doesn't mean that they can actually be abused. Otherwise, you'd read about browsers being abused on a daily basis to infect computers through 1-click-/0-click-exploits. Not a single one is written solely in memory safe languages.
              I agree that talking about rewriting everything is non sense. But I don't have a problem with people rewriting their preferred projects if they put the effort. More the power to them. People that only talk about doing it is just noise.

Comment

Working...
              X