Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CachyOS Moves To Glibc 2.39 & Other Package Upgrades For February

Phoronix: CachyOS Moves To Glibc 2.39 & Other Package Upgrades For February

CachyOS 240224 was released today for this Arch Linux derived desktop distribution that focuses on being a "blazingly fast and customizable Linux distribution" with a variety of desktop options, employing LTO and other optimizations for packages, optional x86-64-v3 binaries, and other tuning to make for a speedy out-of-the-box Linux experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oddly enough, I already downloaded it and literally finished writing the ISO to a thumbdrive five minutes ago. About to back up some stuff, do some Spring Cleaning, and reinstall the OS. Lucky coincidence that it happened on new ISO day

However, I'm gonna go bake a coconut cake first. Oven just preheated so I'm gonna go toast my coconut flakes

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Oddly enough, I already downloaded it and literally finished writing the ISO to a thumbdrive five minutes ago. About to back up some stuff, do some Spring Cleaning, and reinstall the OS. Lucky coincidence that it happened on new ISO day

However, I'm gonna go bake a coconut cake first. Oven just preheated so I'm gonna go toast my coconut flakes
      Priorities are correct.

Comment

I've never installed or used the actual OS, but have been using their kernel both on my Arch and NixOS machines. Great project.

Comment

Originally posted by nadir View Post
          I've never installed or used the actual OS, but have been using their kernel both on my Arch and NixOS machines. Great project.
          Interesting, I guess I should read up on what they do to see if it would be of interest to me too. I do like the stock Arch experience, so unlikely that I'll change. But if it is easy to use just their kernel and it offers actual measurable benefits, yeah I'm interested. (I tried the zen kernel for example, but I couldn't tell any difference, nor in any of the benchmarks I did.)

EDIT: I had a look at their website and I can't tell if they are still rolling release. Given that they just had a release I guess not. Or maybe that just means they made a new ISO?
          Last edited by Vorpal; 24 February 2024, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Cake first absolutely! But I don't get why you need to reinstall the OS. There are some really good tools already for finding things like unused packages, non-managed package managed files etc. Check out pacutils for example. And things like bleachbit can be good too for general cleaning.

​​​I keep all my config files in git version control (using chezmoi for my home dir, etckeeper for /etc) , that too is effective for keeping order. And I started using aconfmgr to trac​​​​​k the everything that pacman installs in config files. Really good tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post

Cake first absolutely! But I don't get why you need to reinstall the OS. There are some really good tools already for finding things like unused packages, non-managed package managed files etc. Check out pacutils for example. And things like bleachbit can be good too for general cleaning.

​​​I keep all my config files in git version control (using chezmoi for my home dir, etckeeper for /etc) , that too is effective for keeping order. And I started using aconfmgr to trac​​​​​k the everything that pacman installs in config files. Really good tool.
              Long story short, because I never intended to keep this install for this long. Well, it's true. See, I dual boot with a certain proprietary OS, I don't believe I gotta mention its name, to play games and that distraction allowed me to let my CachyOS install become more unkempt and neglected than I'd care to admit.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post

Interesting, I guess I should read up on what they do to see if it would be of interest to me too. I do like the stock Arch experience, so unlikely that I'll change. But if it is easy to use just their kernel and it offers actual measurable benefits, yeah I'm interested. (I tried the zen kernel for example, but I couldn't tell any difference, nor in any of the benchmarks I did.)

EDIT: I had a look at their website and I can't tell if they are still rolling release. Given that they just had a release I guess not. Or maybe that just means they made a new ISO?
                If you're already running Arch or have a workflow involving arch-install you can just add the CachyOS repos on top of Arch's, update, pick packages from their repos when prompted, and you're basically running CachyOS. They offer the basic, Arch, experience with optimized packages and they're usually kept in very close sync with the Arch repos. Like other Arch forks, they include some themes but they're not mandatory and you can switch to whatever else you want.

Oh, they have one of the easiest to use OpenZFS root setups around and the OS supporting OpenZFS is a priority for them. If you're an OpenZFS user like me, that's a big plus. Their best in class OpenZFS support is what keeps me around.
                Last edited by skeevy420; 24 February 2024, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I hope the envisioned v3 vs v4 tests on CachyOS will materialize sooner or later on Phoronix. I can't wait to see the results. Also a Arch-derivative distro comparison might be worth it again?

Comment

If CachyOS can do it, what's stopping Arch from doing it?!

They added sub-architecture support years ago, to do exactly this, and haven't progressed since.

Comment

Working...
                    X