Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Changing How They Handle Their Minor Release Betas

Phoronix: Red Hat Changing How They Handle Their Minor Release Betas

Red Hat announced today some changes to how they handle their beta releases for minor updates to Red Hat Enterprise Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone still care?

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
      Does anyone still care?
      Of course they do. Red Hat has a multi billion dollar revenue per quarter with double digit growth and is a major player in the Linux ecosystem. Don't confuse Phoronix shit posters with paying enterprise customers.

Comment

Did anyone test if the CentOS Stream 10 ISOs work?
        Index of /stream-10/development/latest-CentOS-Stream/compose/BaseOS/x86_64/iso

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
          Why wouldn't they (outside of the usual potential for a specific daily or whenever dev build to have an issue)? I don't think they'd bother building the ISOs if they didn't intend for them to work.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
            Why wouldn't they (outside of the usual potential for a specific daily or whenever dev build to have an issue)? I don't think they'd bother building the ISOs if they didn't intend for them to work.
            If you haven't tested them then the correct answer would be "no", rather than shooting at the person who asked if they are working.

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
              No, I think they are too early to test yet for anyone outside those working on bringing up Centos stream 10.

I think it only diverged from Fedora rawhide a few days ago and will probably take some time to stabilise. i didnt even realise they would be at the installable stage yet, so i might test something soon (not for a few weeks or months though).

(as a total outsider) I expect the final release to be in Spring 2025, with beta say around November this year.
              Last edited by You-; 20 February 2024, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                Does anyone still care?
                No, I just ordered my contractors to rebuild more of their Ansible roles for Debian as our default server image is Debian and I will from this point on only add more Debian servers, as long as I have a choice. This decision will cost us about 1 day of extra work, we have to pay for, and the budget is very tight this year!

Currently, the only paper cut on Debian is the long wait or even timeout for sudo, as our servers are joined to an Active Directory, and I haven't figured out why this isn't happening with the remaining RHEL-based systems.​

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

If you haven't tested them then the correct answer would be "no", rather than shooting at the person who asked if they are working.
                  I get what you are saying and generally agree, but I think there's a bit more nuance here. The only image currently available is from today, so the chances are approaching 0% that anyone who comments in this forum has tested it. If the builds are daily, what would an answer like "I tested one two weeks ago and it didn't work" really mean to the one asking the question? Maybe that particular build had a problem, but > 90% of the time they are fine. My point was mainly that with bleeding edge dev builds, it's probably more useful to just try it yourself. And I acknowledge a huge caveat there for people with slow / metered / expensive internet connections where downloading a large ISO just to screw around with isn't feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post

No, I just ordered my contractors to rebuild more of their Ansible roles for Debian as our default server image is Debian and I will from this point on only add more Debian servers, as long as I have a choice. This decision will cost us about 1 day of extra work, we have to pay for, and the budget is very tight this year!

Currently, the only paper cut on Debian is the long wait or even timeout for sudo, as our servers are joined to an Active Directory, and I haven't figured out why this isn't happening with the remaining RHEL-based systems.​
                    sssd caching probably?

Comment

Working...
                    X