Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Will Aim To Ship With The Linux 6.8 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
    Are ubuntu kernels also packaged as snaps?
    Of course not! 😉 https://snapcraft.io/pc-kernel

I'm still struggling to pass kernel parameters to a dev-24.04 (no ubuntu-core) installation, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakobson View Post

Nope. They cannot be. Snaps (sandboxed apps) can be run only on top of OS/system in userspace. Linux kernel is OS.
      You are confusing snaps with flatpaks, but I can see that this is already corrected. snaps are way cooler than flatpaks.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That's very related to what I was saying about following release cadences religiously....
        I think the problem would be getting the distributions to follow the schedule, I think you would still have them picking different kernels. They have incentive to support their own so they can pick what they want and add features that support hardware or driver updates if they feel it is needed, not just security patches.

I hear what you are saying, what I am saying is I don't think it wouldn't matter, I think you would still have distributions picking their kernel based on their own internal timing and they would still be in there customizing it even if they picked a LTS.

There are a lot of smart people at the Linux Foundation and there must be a reason they have not moved which kernel is the LTS kernel. It could even be favoritism, if they moved it a couple of months maybe it would seem they are supporting Canonical too much versus other distributions.

Comment

Working...
        X