Fedora Linux 40 Looks To Replace iotop With iotop-c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geearf View Post
    edit: actually with this I don't know if I'll need any iotop anymore. Is there the same for network? Currently I use bandwich for that.
    I like 'iftop' for the bar graphs, although it doesn't seem to do the association to process that bandwich does.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Is there a way to see on which storage device I/O is actually happening? I have three of them, and just seeing an overall number doesn't mean much to me. I'd like to see the numbers for each storage device.
      I'm old school, in that I just use iostat -x 1

It gives you a full breakdown by device and by statistic.

Comment

I never realized that, thank you!

edit: actually with this I don't know if I'll need any iotop anymore. Is there the same for network? Currently I use bandwich for that.
        iptraf-ng.

But I second atop as the swiss army knife. It also supports creating a history file. atop -B for fun graphs. Atop with "netatop" can also show per process network stats.
        Last edited by Serafean; 23 January 2024, 06:13 AM.

Comment

My favourite one is bwm-ng.

Comment

Originally posted by S.Pam View Post

There is just overall network tx/rx of the system. At least my htop doesn't have network meters per process.
            Yeah I couldn't find it either. :/​

Originally posted by GreenReaper View Post

I like 'iftop' for the bar graphs, although it doesn't seem to do the association to process that bandwich does.
            iftop is nice to see by IPs, but that is less often useful.

Originally posted by Serafean View Post

iptraf-ng.

But I second atop as the swiss army knife. It also supports creating a history file. atop -B for fun graphs. Atop with "netatop" can also show per process network stats.
            I didn't know iptraf-ng, it displays a lot of useful info!
            It's too bad it looks like a DOS-era program though.

atop also seems to display a lot of stuff, actually so much it feels overwhelming, I may have to slowly dig into it.

Originally posted by gotar View Post

My favourite one is bwm-ng.
            Hmmm, I did not know that one but after trying it it does not seem to really add anything particular compared to those above.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

[bwm-ng]
              Hmmm, I did not know that one but after trying it it does not seem to really add anything particular compared to those above.
              Don't try to run iftop or iptraf (actually nothing pcap-based) on heavily used interfaces with zillions of connections. Well, iftop handles only single interface at a time.

I use bwm-ng on 10+ Gb/s traffic with 0.5M connections using 30+ network interfaces with 0.066 s refresh rate.

Comment

Originally posted by gotar View Post

Don't try to run iftop or iptraf (actually nothing pcap-based) on heavily used interfaces with zillions of connections. Well, iftop handles only single interface at a time.

I use bwm-ng on 10+ Gb/s traffic with 0.5M connections using 30+ network interfaces with 0.066 s refresh rate.
                I only have one, well 2 with VPN so I'm okay.
                Thanks!

Comment

Maybe you can use nethogs for checking process consuming network bandwidth

Comment

Also there's bpf-filetop from libbpf-tools if you want to see what files the I/O is touching. Doesn't show full paths, alas, but if the heavy hitters are "scaling_cur_freq" repeated 4 times on a 4-CPU machine, it's not hard to guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X