Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Linux Working On Installer Support For NVMe-over-TCP

Phoronix: Ubuntu Linux Working On Installer Support For NVMe-over-TCP

Ahead of the Ubuntu 24.04 LTS release that is all important for servers, Canonical engineers are working on extending their installer support to handle NVMe-over-TCP setups...

Yet another thing that I don't care about!
    Glad that I don't use Ubuntu as I would probably be upset to see how it wastes resources / time again.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Glad that I don't use Ubuntu as I would probably be upset to see how it wastes resources / time again.
      are you serious?
      i mean it is a very nice improvement to the status quo.

Comment

Ubuntu is doing something that doesn't benefit you personally? How dare they! We must immediately contact Ubuntu to make it clear to them that they must run any engineering decisions by phoronix user "Danny3".

Comment

initially the focus is on Subiquity as their server-focused installer with no changes yet to their desktop installer.

This is a feature targeting their enterprise portfolio of customers and their niches. Just because you don't find it useful doesn't mean it's a resource/time waste.

Comment

How is this different from iSCSI?

Comment

Originally posted by unwind-protect View Post
              It's not SCSI, it's NVMe

Comment

Originally posted by unwind-protect View Post
                Keep in mind they're both just a protocol going over the network and backend server/SAN implentation can matter too - Google gave me this as a white paper comparison between the two protocols using some high end kit and proxmox.https://kb.blockbridge.com/technote/...si-vs-nvmetcp/

TL;dr - "NVMe/TCP consistently outperforms iSCSI" Seems legit but I guess YMMV depending on kit and config but I guess mainstream installer adoption is the bell tolling for the march towards EOL on iscsi, especially considering how increasingly niche this use case is (I didn't say small - just niche as in highly specific segment of the market )

Comment

Sounds good to me. Any time something can be lifted out of the shadows of command-line-only and be easily configured with one or two intuitive selections is a thing worth celebrating.

Comment

In defense of Danny3, there is no one really working on Desktop Linux, Ubuntu and Red Hat do what pleases the Enterprise most. When you have people paying for support contracts the money talks. So while I UNDERSTAND why Ubuntu is doing this, as someone who runs Linux/Unix on the DESKTOP, it seems like it is a waste of resources.

Comment

Working...
                    X