Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Releases First CBL-Mariner Linux Distro Update Of 2024

Phoronix: Microsoft Releases First CBL-Mariner Linux Distro Update Of 2024

Microsoft's in-house Linux distribution CBL-Mariner that is used for a variety of purposes from Azure to WSL has seen its first release of 2024. While the distribution has at times released up to a few new versions per month, there hadn't been a new release since late November given the holidays...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if MS will ever release a desktop variant of this and show everyone else the proper way to make a Linux distro.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      I wonder if MS will ever release a desktop variant of this and show everyone else the proper way to make a Linux distro.
      Winux is coming! I would love to login my Winux desktop using my Hotmail account. Can you imagine the joy of activating an authentic Winux system with a real MS key? That would be something. Yeah show them MS. I can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
        Linux 365 with Office 365. If it makes money.

Comment

I would be kind of interesting to see a Microsoft/.NET based and built desktop OS... but that's more of a morbid curiosity than actual interest in using such a distro.

Most likely they'd find a way to taint the interesting part of the concept with copilot and pre-installed adware.

Comment

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post
            I would be kind of interesting to see a Microsoft/.NET based and built desktop OS... but that's more of a morbid curiosity than actual interest in using such a distro.

Most likely they'd find a way to taint the interesting part of the concept with copilot and pre-installed adware.
            .NET is already open source and works on Linux and there's also Mono which is another version of .NET.

What I envision is the Linux kernel, since MS is a Platinum member of the Linux Foundation, or better yet, the BSD kernel, .NET, Direct X working natively, Visual Basic working natively, because in the corporate world VB.NET apps are common, MS Office working natively, and Lumina.

What a great OS that would be.

I think Linux on the desktop would shrink to nearly nothing within a month.

Imagine an article by Michael that said you could play all your native Windows and Linux software, including games, natively on Winux without WINE or anything like that.

Comment

Working...
            X